Results are in:

http://www.zwischengas.com/de/FT/diverses/Solide-Verkaufsergebnisse-bei-der-Dolder-Versteigerung-2014-der-Oldtimer-Galerie-.html?teaserindex=1

(open the link in Google Chrome if you want an automatic translation)

Italia not sold with top bid of 105,000 CHF = 88,000 Euros = £70,000

If nothing else this demonstrates a completely different auction system in Switzerland.

As far as I can see not a single car exceeded the high estimate and hardly any made the low estimate.

Many cars were sold way below low estimate (like 50% below!)

None of this would happen in a UK auction.

It appears Italias are as hard to value as ever, and even harder to restore properly for what they are then worth!

Happily for now, they remain the preserve of enthusiasts rather than speculators.

(Stuart - I need to talk to you about the budget.........)

I am told by the guy who attended and reported on the event that the bid was live and genuine.

The bid of 105,000 CHF would have been +12% buyer's premium = 117,600 CHF which compared to 140-150,000 guide inc buyer's premium.

I think the seller must pay 11% + advertising costs to the auction house.

So we have a guy prepared to pay nearly £80k for the Italia but the seller would only get £62.5k (not enough for him.)

Top guide price would have cost the buyer almost exactly £100,000 and the seller would have netted £80k.

Go figure, but I have put £80k as my benchmark price for a really well restored Italia by private sale.

I know of an early production Italia that is said to be largely original, 'unrestored but repainted,' for sale at exactly that price. Also in Switzerland.

It pays to deal direct...........

Cheers,

Edited by Paul Harvey
  • 5 months later...

I've lost the plot now, if this generally acclaimed very original and immaculate Italia went for £57k I can't claim to the wife buying one is a investment !

I've got about 3 hours before she comes home, must think of alternative strategy.

Mick Richards

I think you mean cryptic.

The seller was offered considerably more before the auction by a buyer I introduced, so I see no reason why he would have let it go for the stated price.

As I have observed before, Swiss auctions are strange places.