gear stick for j type box

good morning Coolie

do you mean you have a TR 4 Gearbox with a J Type Overdrive and you need a Gear Change Lever for the TR Gearbox? What Chassis and what Gearbox Number? Do you need the Wiring Diagramm to install the Electric Part of the Overdrive? Is your Car LHD or RHD? Sorry, but a few Details needed to help you.

regards re-hiker

hi ,re hiker,

yes J type overdrive sorry!

i will post chassis and box number asap

i need full wire diagram for complete car ,

my car is a tr4a irs , r/hand drive ,1967 .

i am fitting kenlow fan, electronic ignition and twin spot lights .

not sure battery size or make !!

any help would be very gratefull .

kind regards

Coolie

Regarding choice of gear stick, it depends on what top cover is fitted, if its a TR4 top cover then you will need a TR4 gear stick and cap and the long bolt that goes through it to secure it. If its a saloon or TR6 top cover then you will need the later type of gear stick and cap that is located by two studs with lock nuts.Dont forget you will need an anti rattle spring and pin. FWIW the serial number starting with GR on the box means its a reconditioned box.

Stuart.

Re Stuart's post above, I have an O/D Saloon gearbox in my '3 (from a 1972 T2000), & I fitted the original 3 gear lever & cap with the through bolt.

I probably drilled out the side tapped holes to take it (cant remember doing so, but must have)

Bob.

Bob

I don't think you need to drill out the side tapped holes. The studs/lock nuts with the later models are 5/16" unf. The long through bolts on the earlier models are 1/4" unf and will pass through the later stud holes.

I have a TR4 gearlever with the long through bolt on my TR6 race car gearbox and have not drilled it out and don't have problems with it.

Dave McD

• 5 years later...
On 5/7/2014 at 9:31 AM, stuart said:

Regarding choice of gear stick, it depends on what top cover is fitted, if its a TR4 top cover then you will need a TR4 gear stick and cap and the long bolt that goes through it to secure it. If its a saloon or TR6 top cover then you will need the later type of gear stick and cap that is located by two studs with lock nuts.Dont forget you will need an anti rattle spring and pin. FWIW the serial number starting with GR on the box means its a reconditioned box.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, just picked up this comment of yours in a search for exactly this question. Appreciate your response; so if I fit my TR4a top cover (including gearstick etc), will this be ok on a TR6 box?

Many thanks

David

12 hours ago, qkingston said:

Hi Stuart, just picked up this comment of yours in a search for exactly this question. Appreciate your response; so if I fit my TR4a top cover (including gearstick etc), will this be ok on a TR6 box?

Many thanks

David

Yes that will work OK.

Stuart.