Hi from Italy (and sorry for my english!)

I'm restoring a TR250 1968 and I'm choosing the bodypaint.

I fall in love with Valencia Blue but the color I see on Moss (and similar) catalogue, code 66, and some picture on internet or in the books of Bill Piggott are so many different!

I've just do the spray test with the Valencia Blue code 66 and I don't like it! It is more dark, blue and...green than the other Valencia Blue....which is the ORIGINAL one???

post-10456-0-47135100-1398697630_thumb.jpg

He's not far wrong!

stanley.jpg

Unfortunately it doesnt quite work like that when you transfer codes across continents as often though it may be the same code the tinters that make up the paint are very often different in different regions. Also paint mixes from different companies wont necessarily match either.

I had this problem a few years ago with a car that had been fresh painted in Canada before being imported over here, it was subsequently damaged and even with the original formula supplied to me and paint being the same make we found the tinter codes werent the same over here so it had to be matched with a spectrum analyser.

Also colour representation of internet pictures and printed books can be very different to seeing it "In the flesh"

2pack/Acrylic/Cellulose finishes will all look slightly different as well.

Stuart.

I had a similar problem with matching wedgewood.

The codes don't work here at all. I ended up using them to find a German site which had the pigments listed and their weights that the paint shop could use.

My point was that the codes were a starting point - it still needs to be translated into the local equivalent.

• 3 weeks later...

As I have a Valencia Blue car, I can confirm that on my computer screen its very close to the picture posted by TRMitch, and that the blue in the original picture posted by Soviet looks like no Valencia Blue that I have ever seen.

There is a neat Spitfire site that shows the colour chart and also allows you to see a Spitfire in the colour of your choice.

http://www.triumphspitfire1500.co.uk/triumph-spitfire-colours/

Just an observation but it would have been handy if manufacturers adopted something like the Pantone scheme but I guess that would cost money.

Hi Soviet

No-matter what anyone says your car is still very lovely. Personally, I also

like the colour very much. Great car and well done.

My TR5 was originally Valencia, see above left, and I changed it to Signal

red. Silly me, it is going back to Valencia, with any luck next year.

Cheers

Rob

I am also looking at Valencia Blue and wondered if you had seen this Triumph colour card - Medici Blue?2561933_orig.jpg

I am also looking at Valencia Blue and wondered if you had seen this Triumph colour card - Medici Blue?2561933_orig.jpg

Those colours look like the TR2/3 colours.

Graeme

Hi

I recently completed the rebuild of my TR5 to original Valencia blue.

I am very happy with the shade. It is base coat with laquar.

I gave the paint supplier the code from the moss book

The tin has the following on the label

Colour name. Valencia blue

Car manufacturer. Rover

Manufacturers code. 66

Variant code. Original shade

Navigator pro-spray VA74412BC

Construction year 67/72

Without lead. Medium solid (ms)

Base coat

Hope this helps

Cheers Sean.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for your opinions and support! I may have found a paint supplier that has got the old codes triumph ... he told me that the color certainly will not be the same as 40 years ago because the basic solvents can no longer be used.

He also told me that most likely those codes provide for other sub-codes...because of PPG. Well...It's a little bit complicated but keep in contact, I will update!

Ps: Dear Sean cuold you send me a photo of you car, ultimated?