Gearbox - Plunger removal

The gearbox keeps slipping out of reverse. I am assuming this has something to do with the spring and plunger mechanism in the gearbox cover. Having removed the gearbox cover I referred to the Workshop Manual where it show three screws that hold the three spring/plungers/ballbearings. On my cover there are no screws. I don't know whether they changed the design of the fittings (I have one of the last production models) but I appear to have three indented caps with no obvious means of removal. Does anyone have any idea how I can unscrew a screw that has no slot (assuming they are indeed screws)? I was thinking about using a chiesel or something similar to try and turn the 'screws' but don't want to damage anything if this is the wrong approach.

Cheers

Steve

+1 on the rubber gaitor

Hi Steve,

I'd check the force needed to move the selector shaft with a spring balance as per the manual and if it's within limits I'd leave well alone.

However, the plugs are just pressed in. They are easy enough to remove by putting on a bench drill and carefully running a (3/8" I think) drill into them. When you've removed some metal from them they come loose or at least mine did. Unfortunately neither these nor the threaded type plugs are now available from Moss (you'd have to tap out the holes to take the threaded type). Don't know if anyone else has them but I guess the threaded type would be relatively easy to make for an engineer.

Might even be simpler to find another cover with threaded plugs, as you've guessed it's pretty obvious which is which because the threaded ones have a big slot in them.

Peter

Steve,

The later gearbox covers do not have screws to adjust the plungers.

As you have discovered there are three blind plugs similar to small core plugs which are just pressed in and it is a bit hit and miss to get the correct tension. You could try tapping the reverse plug in slightly to increase the tension, but If you go too far, I know of no way to get them out again without destroying them.

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme