anti rattle plunger - which side?

Hi, i'm replacing the gear lever anti rattle plunger which was missing. One side of the plunger is flat, the other one is slightly cone shaped. Which side goes where?

thanks

I think Pete and Bob are right but I've just turned mine around this weekend and put the worn rounded side against the spring in order to get it tighter as the spare hadn't arrived.

Pete Cox tells me he uses a ball bearing and plays around until he gets a tighter fit.

There are various lengths and strengths of spring and results vary according to the degree of wear in the parts.

I don't think it matters as long as the fit feels reasonably 'tight' and there is no obvious play in the gear stick.

I also found it helped enormously to carefully assemble the 2 part rubber gaiter, get a good fit on the gearbox tunnel, and make sure it pushes it up snugly against the underside of the 'H' frame.

In my case the result is a much quieter transmission, very positive gear change, and no annoying rattle even at the dreaded harmonics.

OK back with my greasy fingers. I had to cut the spring by 2 mm to allow the plunger to come ashore the gear lever hole and then to press it in the vise. Not sure if it was luck but the outer edge of the hole was slightly damaged hence allowing the plunger to remain stuck in the hole just at the outer edge under light pressure while moving freely in the hole under higher pressure, so no need for clipping the plunger to the lever while installing it. I just presented the lever, light hit on top and "clac" it got stuck. All good now.

Incidentally, before replacing the plunger, I found that "balancing" the gear lever with a heavier gear knob was considerably reducing the rattling

Anyway, thanks for the good advices as usual

I seem to remember from long ago that if you have a bad rattle on the gear lever then this is a clue to worn main bearings, which can be followed by a broken crank.

The spring loaded plunger should be a close fit in the selectors, I added small washers behind my spring to get it right.

With this correct you should not get any rattles with any type of gear knob.

Bob.