TR4 Exhaust mounts on TR3a

Following the advice of previous threads, I have bought a TR4 exhaust mounting kit from Moss (GFK6210X) (which has the previously advised 130888 mount) to address the previously botched mounting of mine - (which has a single rigid mount at the back of the rear box onto the round cross member, pushing everything fwds to the exhaust manifold with no more than exhaust paste (and the holes in the chassis) holding the rest together !!!

I have one of those exhaust manifolds that goes from 4 - 1 next to the sump, then a long pipe routed through the chassis to a single rear box.

Does anyone have any pics of their exhaust mounts to assist.

Many thanks

• 1 year later...

Hi Bob, do you per chance still have the picture.

Cheers

Edited by McMuttley
Is this the one ?
By the way the current offerings of this mount do not have any captive nuts.
I would seriously advise welding a nut on the RHS of the lower hole. This will make it much easier to change / adjust the clamp in that position once the gearbox cover is in place. Otherwise it's a nightmare trying to get a spanner onto that side.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Thanks Bob - very helpful - I assume that I am looking below the speedo drive and that the vertical part of the bracket sits to the rear just being the cross member ?

Is that bolt there already mounting the gearbox to the chassis ?

Can I get to this from underneath the car, i.e., without removing those carpets and seats I installed before Xmas !

I think my bracket has the captive nut on the horizontal, not sure about the vertical ?

Here is a blown up view

It has a large captive nut under the horizontal surface - this takes the gearbox mounting bolt from above.

Looking at my photo, I used a horizontal bolt through the bracket, & then through a spacer, & then through the exhaust clamp, then into a nut. This will give me huge problems if I need to alter any of this now that car is all together. I should have welded the nut onto the bracket, & run the bolt through from the clamp side. I recently helped a friend put the same exhaust system (Phoenix) on his 3A, we had gearbox cover off on the first fit, but then had to remove the manifold after cover was back on, & it was a huge struggle to get at the nut. (On his we ended up with the nut on the RHS, but not welded).

Bob.