I spent Sunday afternoon fitting an Automec brake pipe kit. Most of the pipes were a close approximation to what was needed with the exception of the pipe from the three way union on the rear axle to the rear right side wheel cylinder. To follow the prescribed route I reckon I need a pipe about 50cm long whereas the one supplied was only 43cm.

Automec, to their credit, are willing to send me a longer pipe, but pointed out that they had been supplying the kit for over 25 years. Before I make a fool of myself, does anyone happen to know (or could easily measure) the correct length.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hi, I am trying to find the length of brake pipes on Triumph TR2's and TR3's both the Lockheed set up and the Girling, but I can't the lengths anywhere, does any one have the lengths I need?

Cheers

Brian Classic

Talk to Automec http://www.automec.co.uk/

They make ready made pipe sets so should know the lengths.

Stuart.

In the attached pdf file you can read the lenghts of the pipes (in cm, sorry - to convert into inches,divide by 2.54).

I do not remember where I got this information (maybe I meaured them by myself, and then they would correspond to a TR3A and Girling system).

Jesus

Triumph TR3A brake pipe set.pdf

I appreciate that this is an old thread. I just wanted to recommend members making up their own brake pipes as it's cheaper and more convenient. The shelf life of brake pipes is pretty short when compared to other items so the purchase of even the most basic of kits will pay itself off almost immediately. Whilst the cheaper brake pipe flaring kits are slightly harder to use, they do work once you have got to grips with them.

Brake pipe itself is cheap as chips, as is the cost of the cutter and the ONLY trick of creating these yourself is the physical flare of the brake pipe itself.

Plus, one final sell is that brake pipe technology hasn't evolved which means it's 100% transferable from earlier cars to modern cars. I was running left right and centre having to get pipes made up, so purchased my own and have completed full brake pipe installations more times than I can remember.

I will admit that I have moved on from a £16 hobby kit to a £200 professional kit (for speed and convenience) which has been borrowed multiple times as the whole process is so easy, Worth a try.