1970 Saffron TR6 - it's here!

As long as it has at least one 'Rear View' mirror was my understanding...but if you had say a wiper arm or blade missing, then that fittings' rule applies.

My sons car once failed an MOT because he had a paper car park sticker that overlapped the windscreen wiper screen swept area by an inch! "Rules is Rules" said Mr Jobsworth!

Edited by Denis

Hi Michael,

yes it does extend to many testers, and the average MoT tester is far from being an 'expert', especially when it comes to older vehicles.

The misconception dates back to when the enhanced rear view requirements were first introduced, a couple of sentences were open to misinterpretation, and corrected at the next revision.

Unfortunately too many MoT testers do not keep up to date or read their manuals properly. Nothing new there.

Cheers

Alec

Well my TR7 failed because it only had an interior mirror, had to fit just one mirror on the drivers door !!!!

Regards

Nigel

Nigel,

if it your TR7 was first used 01/08/78 or subsequently it requires two mirrors, one must be on the offside and the other can be on the near side or an interior fitment, either will suffice.

First used 31/07/78 or earlier, and it requires but one mirror - which may be in any one of those three positions.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Andrew, that's a gorgeous '6... nice colour, too. Have fun! All the best, Paul

I really really really like that car!!!!!

Fantastic colour and what a time warp car, you sir should be very happy :)

I see an original tr enterprises tax disc holder..... Must be 20 years old lol

Tom

Hi Andrew, that's a gorgeous '6... nice colour, too. Have fun! All the best, Paul

Cheers Paul, I'm still pinching myself!

I really really really like that car!!!!!

Fantastic colour and what a time warp car, you sir should be very happy :)

I see an original tr enterprises tax disc holder..... Must be 20 years old lol

Tom

Thanks Tom, but you can't have it, it's mine!! :D

Yes, I am VERY happy and yes, good spot, it is a TRE tax disc holder from when you had to pay for the road tax!

Will you be "driving it" on Sunday Andrew?

Steve,

Yes, but it depends on whether I have to take the axle off TuRK this weekend, and the weather - this TR6 hasn't seen rain since between 1970 - 1975!

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Folks,

I've had a number of emails asking about 'Saffy's' history, so here's the potted version:

A BRIEF HISTORY OF DPF 640J

DPF 640J was registered in September 1970 to Mr St. John Burlison-Rush of Hayes, Kent who drove car until 1975 when at about 28,000 miles it was placed into storage until 1983 - not sure why, but I'm trying to trace him and/or his family to add to the car's history and find out why it was put into storage.

The second owner, Mr George Niblett of Thorpe Tilney Lincs, acquired the car in 1983 when it joined his private car collection of other occasionally used sports cars. In December 1992 TR Enterprises was contracted to undertake an extensive re-commissioning. This was completed in January 1993 at 29,815 miles (as documented on the MOT dated 8 January 1993) at a cost of £2,764; other re-commissioning work was also undertaken in 1993 which raised the total cost to £3,811.

During the ownership of George Niblett (1983 - 1994) DPF 640J covered only 3,000 miles approx - it appears that 'Saffy' sat pretty much idle from 1975 until January 1993, some 18 years until recommissioned. This, and being Ziebarted from new, accounts for the condition it's in today. I've emailed Steve Hall (TRE) asking that he forward my email to George Niblett as I understand they are still in contact as George rallies a TR4 and Swallow Doretti.

The third, and previous, owner Rob Cater of Camberley, Surrey (8 miles from me!) purchased the car from George Niblett who sold the car through TR Enterprises in October 1994, by which time 'Saffy' had covered only 31,000 miles from new. Rob Carter owned the car until 19 April 2014 and during that time only covered a further 11,500 miles in 20 years. Then I bought it last Saturday and haven't stopped smiling since! :)

​I'm now undertaking a detailed 'sympathetic' cleaning programme and trying not to turn into Peter Dykins, but I must admit I am getting a bit of a buzz from it! :o

10154233_10202175554325528_7308914717979

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Interesting history, good luck contacting PO. I recently managed to contact my car's original owner, and his wife went to the loft and found some old slides of the car when it was two years old and forwarded it as a slide show.

That's a great story David, and thanks to Tom (Stiggy) I'm now in contact with the second owner, George Niblett, and I hope to meet up soon and discover more about the car during his ownership.

Cheers

Andrew

Brilliant.

It is great to hear from previous owners.

I am selling my Series 1 XJ6 at the moment and yesterday I got a call from the guy who had owned the car between 1989 and 1999. He had seen the ad and thought he'd 'touch base'. All very interesting stuff gathering information from folks who remember their cars with affection.

I have to say that the '6 looks great Andrew and hope to see it soon.

Will it be TRchaeologing or will that be TuRK?

Roger

Whichever it is Tyson will cock his leg up on it . . . . Staffies only pee on quality cars . . . . . a tinkle on the wires can't be resisted. :lol:;)

That's the great thing about being a half hundredweight of Staffie, no silly beggar is going to try kicking you in the ribs tor tinkling on his wheels ! :P

Cheers

Alec

Brilliant.

It is great to hear from previous owners.

I am selling my Series 1 XJ6 at the moment and yesterday I got a call from the guy who had owned the car between 1989 and 1999. He had seen the ad and thought he'd 'touch base'. All very interesting stuff gathering information from folks who remember their cars with affection.

I have to say that the '6 looks great Andrew and hope to see it soon.

Will it be TRchaeologing or will that be TuRK?

Roger

Yes, it's good news and I'm looking hearing all about the car from George Niblett and yes, it's rewarding when previous owners take a genuine interest in their old cars.

One of them will be at TRchaeologing Roger, you'll just have to wait and see............................... :)

Alec,

Having met Tyson and been nearly licked to death, he can cock his leg anywhere he chooses! :D

Cheers

Andrew