New throttle cable

Just bought a new throttle cable for my TR6 from Rimmer bros

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-160308

I have fitted it today but it does not look right, at the PI end there are two adjustable ferrules both with a pair of lock nuts on? I have the Prestige underslung throttle which requires me to fit the cable as the shorter version. this leaves the 2nd threaded ferrule dangling between the bracket and the end clip of the cable. I am certain this prevents me from using full throttle

Is this correct???

I cannot see any way of removing the 2nd ferrule - should it stay or go

kc

I may be imagining this wrongly but there should be only one threaded ferrule with two locknuts at the throttle body end which is as shown in the Rimmer catalogue link. You have two?

Yep, I have two, there is no way of removing the second one if it is not needed. Have a feeling it is a "faulty" or "mismade" cable

KC

Mismade I'd say. Get them to send you a replacement, they probably won't ask for the original but you could email them a picture. If you try to hack at the extra ferrule you risk damaging the core which will catch up on the outer causing all sorts of trouble.

Here is a picture of the offending item

It did make the fitting of it an interesting exercise

IMG_0981-XL.jpg

If you cannot see it, this link will take you to the picture direct

http://kenclare.smugmug.com/Cars/Pension-Plan/i-kGx8ckc/Akc

Edited by kcsun

Yep that's not right, only one ferrule is required. Never seen anything like this it is obviously a mistake.

Best place to get a decent throttle cable is TD Fitchett - ask for a NOS TR5/6 yellow throttle cable (still shrink wrapped on a display card), they may have a few left (I've just bought two): http://www.tdfitchett.co.uk/ - it has a harder outer casing, brass couplings and spigot, but you will need to run a drop of penetrating oil down the inner cable before use.

Cheers

Andrew

Rimmers were excellent, popped a new one in the post, and said I could keep the old one

Any bids???

or buy it now for a £mil-yon!

kc

Any bicycle shop will sell you a brake cable, exactly the same as the throttle cable sold as such, with a selection of end fittings and even a crimp to neaten up the cut end of the cable, for very litle and in a range of colours! Maybe not for purists, but in an emergency......

John

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

I recently got a new throttle cable for my TR6 PI from Rimmers as the one it had was home made by a prior owner and wasn't working smoothly. After fitting it looked much better but longer than the bodged up one I removed, and routing did not look quite right (faults the bonnet when closed). I noticed on the Moss catalogue that there should be a clip attaching it to the inner wing, not existent on my car. I assume that it would fit close the brake master cylinder. Does anyone have a photo of where and how is this clip fitted to hold the cable in the right position?

Thanks in advance

Fernando

post-4191-0-73023500-1429606349_thumb.jpgThe clip fits on the side of the gutter, hope its clear enough.

John

Kevo Only just... I forgot I had to use Chrome to add pictures. Are the new cables always with a green outer?

Edited by John L

attachicon.gifDSCF1862 (Small).JPGThe clip fits on the side of the gutter, hope its clear enough.JohnKevo Only just... I forgot I had to use Chrome to add pictures. Are the new cables always with a green outer?

Thanks John & Kevo.

John, the one I recently bought from Rimmer's has a black sleeve.

Edited by MadArgy

attachicon.gifDSCF1862 (Small).JPGThe clip fits on the side of the gutter, hope its clear enough.JohnKevo Only just... I forgot I had to use Chrome to add pictures. Are the new cables always with a green other?

Sorry John, missed this. New one bought from moss recently is also black. No idea how long my green one has been there.