BTW, that 1970 TR6 with 42,500 miles from new............

Andrew

I had a feeling you would snap it up on the first assessment viewing and your absence from TR6 ownership would be short lived!

Looks like you have unearthed a little gem there and I hope you don't encounter any "messers" with the M3 sale. Bev was right of course.

Safe and enjoyable motoring in your TRs and I look forward to meeting your new acquisition.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by robnob

I own a 1970 TR6PI, never restored, all service history from new, so can fill in some of the details...

When you say you have the 'logbook' I guess you mean the Registration Document? My car came with these booklets:

IMAG0355_zps324f80d6.jpg

which I keep in the glove compartment together with my original driving licence, fuel rationing booklet, Green Shield Stamps and the 'Home Market' production card...

Looking at your pictures several things are non-original:

Steering wheel, carpets, body trim lines, wiper arms (should be chrome), gear lever knob.

Under the bonnet the plug leads should be green, as should the radiator hoses. I don't know what the red thing on the left wheel arch is but it shouldn't be there. The battery retaining bracket should be black.

As for fitting a spoiler to a CP series TR6, that's plain sacriledge.

The original SP Sport tyre size is 165HR-15.

Finally here's a copy of my first bill for an MOT failure in 1973. (The test fee was £1.64):

50c52744-ad71-4d1a-aac5-da970ac404a4_zps

I don't agree that most TR6's were supplied without overdrive. Looking through my back copies of Motor Sport from the early seventies and from my recollection of loitering around the DCM showroom in London (it was THE place for TR servicing) almost all the TR's had overdrive.

Chris, Lee on Solent

Edited by GoProTR

Well done mate, I bet your going to miss all the horses that the M3 had though?

Cheered Drinky

Yes, it was a very good buy - miss the M3's horses? - not really mate, the TR6 is 'only', on paper, 171 bhp short................ :D

We can debate the minutia of 'originality' and what constitutes 'sacrilege' all day long if I'd asked for an opinion, but I didn't. All I know is, that after 30+ years of owning TRs, there are unrestored cars and those whose owners claim their car to be unrestored; just like Trigger's broom.

I think the 'Preston chap' may have returned in disguise............ :lol:

Cheers

Andrew

If you do keep it Andrew, be sure to fit a ( highly non original) second bonnet release ;-)

Steve

Hi Chris, the red item under Andrews' bonnet looks like a compressor unit for Air-horns;IMHO a great period accessory(I've got them on my own TR6!). Also the front air-dam came out with the CR series in late 1972, and was available from Triumph as an upgrade for earlier cars, thus also qualifying as a period accessory. Best wishes, Paul.

Chris (GoProTR)

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry if our sense of humour seems a bit harsh - we actually welcome everybody.

I'd love to see some pics of your original car, as a Registrar I do understand the importance of really genuine reference vehicles.

Start a new thread if you prefer and I'm sure you'll get some great responses.

If you do keep it Andrew, be sure to fit a ( highly non original) second bonnet release ;-)

Steve

Ha, ha Steve - when I sold VUX last September I gave so much stuff away so sure that I wouldn't be getting another one - and then 'Saffy' turned up; never say never!

Now I've got to start buying it again, but 'Surrey Misfit' Steve Whatmore(179) is bring back the workshop manuals I gave him as he already had some............

Cheers

Andrew

Well I might make you pay for them, if you want them back? Saffy was only 1 mile from my HA and I'd never seen it around in 24 years. How do you get these cars?

Steve

Edited by whatmore179

Well I might make you pay for them, if you want them back? Saffy was only 1 mile from my HA and I'd never seen it around in 24 years. How do you get these cars?

Steve

How about a cuppa tomorrow, that seems a fair swap - I might even let you help drop the axle out of TuRK! :D

'These cars' find me mate! ;)

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I bought my 6 in 73 and now after more than 40 years someone is telling me that it's ... NOT ORIGINAL... Andrew HELP ME it makes me crying.. :(:(

attachicon.gif100_0055 - kopie.JPG

Hmmmm, yes, I see what you mean Jean; the front wing indicator lens is a repro and not Lucas!

Despair not my Belgium friend, it's a simple fix - just find an original on FleaBay................

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Don't worry Jean, it is completely original, the exclusive Mechelen Morris TR6 prototype . . . . .

Originally fitted with a special Belgian MPI system (Massey Paraffin Induction) for maximum economy, developed by Mechelen exclusively for the Euro Market. The MPI system also featured PWI (Personal Water Injection), via a twin tank system, upper for the master and lower for the dog.

Your particular car was the prototype for the Italian market, fitted with the optional crapiti grille, and popularly known as the abortee,

Cheers

Alec

Steve

How about a cuppa tomorrow, that seems a fair swap - I might even let you help drop the axle out of TuRK! :D

Well, Steve turned up this morning conveniently after TuRK's axle had been removed! :rolleyes: - he drooled over 'Saffy' for a while, had a cuppa and then Baldrick turned up in his GT6, but more importantly with the Cranberry Cookies, party time! :)

I think Steve and Baldrick both liked the 'Saffron survivor'! B)

Cheers

Andrew

Best original 6 I've ever seen. Andrews a lucky man. I thought VUX was outstanding, Saffy takes the biscuit.

Some people have all the luck....should have made him buy the manuals back

Steve

GoProTR. The 'Red Thing' on Andrews car is a Maserati Horn Compressor!

I got my 69 TR6 with 16,000 mi on the clock...it was a one owner car. All the hoses were black and yellow stripped, wiper arms and blades were 'semi matt Silver' not 'chrome'...mine never had O/D. Cant remember the HT lead colour, but they had Bakalite Champion right angle plug ends...also the Rubber hoses between the Plenum and the throttle bodies were plain, not the ones with the 'V' shape cast into them. The Gear Knob was a round black ball. And I have the original Black steering wheel.

I would like somebody to show me a picture of the Original jack handle and tiny Jack (I have two) how it stowed in the boot and a picture or description of the original tool kit, mine only came with the Wire Wheel Hammer and thing that fits over the hub nut.

Edited by Denis