J Type O/D wiring! How hard can it be.......its me so V HARD:(

I have been scratching my head this afternoon with regard to trying to wire up the O/D

I have bought new looms from Rimmers.....poss first mistake :(

I have three separate sets of wires

one set has two green and yellow spade connectors and these intern are connected to a bullet connector( i guess this connects to the wire from the o/d/switch on the steering column .

then there are three spade connectors coloured yellow and purple. i can see from the wiring diagram that one of these goes to the solenoid ,

so where do the other 2 go?

I will stick with this question first before i sort out the next 2 sets of wires :rolleyes:

HI paul

No its a CR 73

I only removed the old loom from the bullet connector that comes off the o/d/switch

Edited by Clarkey

Hi menno

Thank you

I have been sent this by another forum member. I have this plasticised and have been looking at it, but as most diagrams unless you are a sparks and used to reading and understanding them its like reading soup :blink:

I get the pos and neg side but this still does not seem clear to me when you have 3 purple and yellow wires in the loom and only one shown on the diagram.

but onwards and upwards ^_^

The J type loom from Moss sounds a bit like yours.

I believe that the extra wires are for a box with another overdrive inhibitor in it, ie 2 instead of one (which the J type doesnt have as standard), in any event they arent needed (they would be on an A type box.

If youve wired the 3/4 gear inhibitor (well it allows power to the solenoid when the o/d lever is switched) the others are part of the same circuit and perform the same job so they are spare if there were another inhibitor . I've just terminated mine and insulated off the ends.

Thinks thats the answer

PS my J type switches fine, sorry havent got a pic of the wiring.

Looking at the diagram for a 73 TR6 there is no relay (J Type overdrive)

Live feed from OD switch through yellow wire to single Overdrive interlock switch then onto 1 side of the overdrive solenoid. The other side of solenoid goes to ground (simples ;) )

Cheers

Alan

Cheers fellas

The more i see and read the clearer it seems........I think ;)

All righty then

Well Electrus the sparky God has been good to me this morning

The loom for the o/d is fitted and works......(i can hear it now oh ye of little faith ;) )

tried 3&4 flicked the o/d switch and i can hear the click from the solenoid

I also have two working reverse lights.

Thanks again fellas for the support :D

so its on to fit the tunnel and start putting in the seats and then i'll get the mot done then we can start to do some miles

Before you set off installing the tunnel, I would like to suggest a short test run with the cover off. Only to see and hear that it all functions perfectly. This is also the perfect moment to alter the tunnel as needed: I've put in various holes (with large grommets) to make accessibility easier. Just an advise, off course

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

If you follow ths advice, which is actually a good thing to do, then BEWARE THE ROTATING JOINT.

No loose clothing that might wind up in there. No ends of seat-belts etc.

Maybe a temporary cover from a cardboard box.

Rotating things like this are completely unforgiving and you dont escape if they catch you.

Thanks guys

Temp cover made from an old plastic cake box :D

all seemed ok so the tunnel is back on so i need to put the new carpet set in now as the P.O had glued the carpet to the underlay so when i was removing it, it tore most of the carpet.

hay ho here we go ;).

Edited by Clarkey