Low battery - strange - hearth contact

Hi there, I didn't use the car for a couple of days and this morning I gave her a crank and she gave me a "Wheuh...", crank again, "wheuh" again, crank again, starter "clack", crank again, solenoid "clik" and that was it. Got the jump-start cables from the MPV and gave it a jolt with engine turned on. Got back in the TR, crank... starter "clack" again. Moved the clips on the battery terminal to get optimal contact: starter "clack" then solenoid "clic" again. Mmm...I then clipped the negative jump-start cable directly to the rocker cover nut. Crank: Vroom ! Battery to body and engine to chassis earth cables are tightly connected to chassis, body and battery terminal; Car is negative earth. Who could be the culprit ?

Edited by Geko

"tightly connected" doesn't always guarantee good continuity . . . . . strip and clean the connections, check cable integrity, especially as the cable joins whatever end fitting, that can be corroded whilst hidden . . . .

A hot melt glue gun can be useful here, to seal the joints in a layer of set but not brittle glue, resists corrosion and vibration alike.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Stef,

the nromal earth connection is battery to body, engine to chassis. The body and chassis are linked via the body attachment screws/bolts. Rather iffy ion my mind.

I have the normal set up PLUS another earth cable going from battery to engine at the coil attachment screws.

Roger

After you have undone, cleaned, removed any paint etc from the contact areas, smear some petroleum jelly over the now bare metal areas, & reassemble tightly.

Bob.

For my earth connection to the body, I remover all paint and covered the area with a lead washer cut from some code 4 lead flashing that I had in the garage. I then bolted up to the lead washer and covered in Vaseline.

Rgds Ian

Thanks all - I went Roger's course, relying on his sensible explanation and reflecting on the never ending quest for a good earth for the horn...Now, my black jump start lead is a bit shorter but for a good cause B)

Edited by Geko