Latest pictures of my Smurf car

It is not superb the budget has been very low the painting is not top but its almost in one piece and it keeps me out of trouble. Here are some pictures of my ongoing restoration. I have only replaced the floors both sides, the sills (inner and outer) the boot floor the door skins repaired both doglegs, repaired all 4 wings removed a substantial amount of accident damage from the rear valance and repaired the rust holes, straightened both front inner wings and borrowed a friends painting booth/equipment at my first attemnt at painting. Apart from that its Origonal, except for the motor rebuild ( with a Head kindly supplied at a nominal cost from Alec P, the bloke deserves a medal), the gerabox (bought cheap on ebay) the new brake and clutch lines, disks pads cylinders etc, not to mention the new wiring loom bought at a great price from a fellow forumite and of course the super sqeeky buzzer thingy that will remind me that I have left the indicators on ( again bought from the forum), the new interior being made by a mate of mine and not to forget the tropical fan donated by Andrew Smith and the various bits given also by Chris 59 and Pete Fenlon, the superb advice given by various members, the hours of help on the Telephone from Stuart whenever I have had something nasty to deal with and just couldn't see how to do it.

But apart from that it is factory origonal, almost a barn find, and all the progress is down to everyone on the forum who has helped, mocked, encouraged and not been too critical. So although it is not yet finished I would just like to say a very big thank you to the forum and its contributers

Cheers

Alan

chef de l'atelier

chefdelatelier_zps0762cfb0.jpg

photo1_zps481d3cec.jpg

rear_zps9f1b37ec.jpg

rear34_zpsc06c7a83.jpg

front_zps077d89f1.jpg

dash_zpsd4c23eb3.jpg

Its looking Great !

you must be getting excited now at the prospect of actually driving it !

steve

Re gear knob:

Yes I agree, I have one exactly the same (not fitted to car though) it came with the gearbox I am using which was out of a Triumph 2000 Mk2 (O/D)

The odd thing is, reverse is in the wrong place on the knob. Both mine, & the one in above photo show reverse to be right & away from you.

Which it is not ! T 2000 & TR's are the same, reverse is right , & towards you. ???????

I used to have a Stag with a similar knob, but reverse was in the correct place.

Bob.

Thanks for the comments

The gearbox is I believe from a Stag the gearlever is cut and shut from what I believed was a dolly sprint box but I don't really know. I am looking forward to driving it on the road.

Neil, I did want to paint it BRG but round here green cars tend to blend into the background and become invisible so I painted it the closest I could find to the origonal powder blue using a standard paint colour, its a renault colour apparently the same colour as early 70's Alpines the paint job is to 70's Leyland standard with runs ripples and orange peel. I will repaint it one day when funds allow, but after the last few years I just want to drive the bloody thing.

Cheers and thanks for the encouragements

Alan

Very nice Alan - and you are too harsh on yourself, that looks great. I wish my project were that close to completion.

I've never seen wheel finishers like what you have on the front wheels, has that been discussed before? Do you have all 4?

Bloody good show Kiwi, well done mate, excellent progress.

You make too much of the cylinder head, it deserves an explanation and credit where it's due, someone else and not me.

As many will not be aware, Alan has been battling a major health issue for several years past. His TR's original cylinder head was found to be irretrievably shagged, a hugely demoralising setback and at a most inconvenient moment . . . . he was about to undergo a prolonged course of touch'n'go treatment, and it required his being 100% positive, not depressed over being kicked in the goolies by a malfunctioning TR rebuild.

Meanwhile, I happened to have a very nice and well sorted wet liner head, courtesy of my old pal Mike Perks (he of Rivet fame), one of those what goes around comes around deals - earmarked for either 4A or Peerless. But I wasn't trying to complete a car against the clock in a race with a brain tumour. So it went to Alan, for a reasonable (not a nominal) sum just as it had come to me. Along with a few other bits acquired favourably along the road.

His need was greater than mine, a heap of dead metal became a running rather than just a rolling chassis. The transformation in motoring fortunes might just have tipped the celestial odds as he hit the treatment package in an optimistic upbeat frame of mind with his car progressing . . . . when the odds are stacked well against, you need all the help you can get.

If it hadn't been for Mike Perks looking to do a good turn for yours truly and the V8 Lady, Alan might have been devoid of a paddle to beat the **** Creek alligators over the head. Good on yer Mike, and many thanks. Alan sailed through his treatment regime, and made it to Malvern last year - even if he did have to leave unexpectedly early, for family reasons, foregoing our intended plumbing exercises here in Mere . . . . .

The TR Forum can be a benefit to those in need, and frequently proves its worth. Usually in TR technical matters, of some considerable importance to the owner with problems. Just occasionally, there are situations in which the collective goodwill proves of greater worth. Badfrog is one example, Kiwifrog another . . . . unhealthy lot, these froggies !! They're not the only guys we've been able to assist over the past decade, of course, just two of the more recent and notable instances.

Keep up the good work chaps. Not everyone will necessarily value your contributions appropriately. Helping those less fortunate isn't a characteristic that's universally admired. It has been a TR characteristic as far back as I can recall. A TRadition worth preserving.

Cheers

Alec

I've never seen wheel finishers like what you have on the front wheels, has that been discussed before? Do you have all 4?

Randal - Moss sell these inserts - see attached extract from the catalogue, Part # GLZ 227 WWX4.

As stated, they sandwich between the wheel and the tyre... I had some on a TR4 in Aus a few years back and thought they looked pretty good...

post-11403-0-04387500-1396523936_thumb.jpg

Hi Randall

I do have all 4 but unfortunatley 1 has been mangled so they will not be on the finished car. I believe they are an american aftermarket item.

Alec, its true that when you supplied me with the head I was in a really bad place and to have something else to think about was a godsend, not to mention the sense of achievement when the engine actually fired up for the first time.

Hopefully all that is now behind me and I can get on with living normally even if I have to put up with comments about stealing my car from a small blue cartoon character. Now all I have to do is bolt in some seats........

And yes I still feel guilty about not being able to do the plumbing for you

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Kiwifrog
  • 2 weeks later...

Super read Alan, thanks for posting. Thanks too Alec. I thought all Tr2s, 3s and 3as left the factory painted red...And I have always felt that anyone driving one painted any other color secretly envied me for having a factory painted red Tr3a....Even those whose car might have fewer dents, less rust and, perhaps, more tread on the tires....(Colour, Tyres). So as a word of caution, Alan, because of the color you should not be surprised to find your car is not quite as fast as a red Tr. And, although the girls heads will still spin round to look when you drive by, it will not happen so quickly nor with the same intensity as happens when one drives a red Tr.

All the very best Alan.

Paul

Super read Alan, thanks for posting. Thanks too Alec. I thought all Tr2s, 3s and 3as left the factory painted red...And I have always felt that anyone driving one painted any other color secretly envied me for having a factory painted red Tr3a....Even those whose car might have fewer dents, less rust and, perhaps, more tread on the tires....(Colour, Tyres). So as a word of caution, Alan, because of the color you should not be surprised to find your car is not quite as fast as a red Tr. And, although the girls heads will still spin round to look when you drive by, it will not happen so quickly nor with the same intensity as happens when one drives a red Tr.

All the very best Alan.

Paul

Wrong, totally wrong. Typically the POV from a red TR owner :D

Women LOVE the powder blue car. And it also enhances the looks of the driver! Powder Blue TRs are what you call 'bird pullers'. And not as fast? Seriously? It all depends on the carefully choosen wire wheels and exhaust system.

Menno

Menno I find your conclusion about a blue tr unconvincing. But, I must add that driving my Tr3a also makes me a far more handsome and interesting person. When I drive my 15 year old rusty Mercedes, nobody looks. When I drive the Tr women of all ages wave and make suggestive comments when I stop traffic lights. It is often necessary to drive away quickly so that I am not blamed for marital problems and in spite of this I often find women's under garments behind the seats obviouslys flung by an admirer. It's a burden we sidescreen Tr drivers all have to live with.

Paul