Timing Cover Oil Seal (again!)

I've received my new oil seal but it is slightly different from the original in that it only has

a metal ring on the outside and both ends of the seal are visible. One side isn't

covered with metal like the original. In this case, do I fit the seal with the wire spring

facing the engine?

Thanks ~

Tom.

Edited by Fireman049

Hi Tom,

Spring to the inside, idea being that the throw of the oil and spring assists sealing to the crankshaft pulley. Remember to coat the pulley shaft with grease as you insert it into the orifice. I would also only finger tighten the bolts till the pulley has centred the timing cover and then nip all the bolts up.

Although seal may look different the methodology I sent you still holds true, coat the sides of the seal when fitting it.

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Hi Rod ~

Thanks again for your help. My car is fitted with a thin belt conversion (which I should have mentioned) which means

that there is a steel collar which fits on the crankshaft nose. My crank pulley is dampened (MGB?) so the oil seal

doesn't touch the pulley boss. The seal fits the the collar perfectly.

I think that perhaps the side of the seal with the wire spring should face the collar/engine?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Not sure what you have there but the principal remains that the hollow spring section faces into the timing chest. Not really understanding the collar you refer to, but interested how it forms an oil seal. Does it rotate with crank and pulley?

I have a brand new Racetorations narrow belt one that fit as per original, same seal I think.

Send a piccy when you've got a minute.

Rod

Tom

I agree with Rod with regards to the seal direction. I think the Moss damped pulley uses a thin wall extension to extend the rear face of a MGB narrow pulley. This thin wall extension does two things, it contacts the oil thrower and sets the axial location of the pulley and provides the correct diameter for the oil seal to seal against. It make no difference if a seal contacts this thin wall extension or the original hub as both are the same diameter. Either way I believe that the spring should be on the oily side.

Always willing to learn but my oil seal is fitted this way on a Moss damped pulley and it does no leak.

Regards

Rog

Thanks Rod and Rog ~

I now know the correct procedure.

The diameter of my thin wall extension and the pulley hub is miles different! (the pulley hub is far smaller)

Rod ~ I'd like to attach a piccy but this Forum must be the most user unfriendly thing ever invented!!! :angry:

Thanks Folks ~

Tom. ;)

Edited by Fireman049