Cold Start...always on the 3rd Turn

Dear all, its been a while but that's sometimes how it is when the girl's running like a Kenyan on speed.

Nevertheless, with no other faults I thought I would go and tackle a 'minor' niggle - probably more character than anything.

Basically, she only starts from cold on the 3rd turn of the ignition.

Switching on the ignition and allowing the fuel pump to circulat for a minute of so does not had any impact.

Perhaps, more surprisingly the car was garaged for most of the winter and i'm ashamed to say that I'd not managed to get out for a spin or even turn the engine in almost 4 months. I sat in the car, turned the ignition 3 times and she started.

Dont get me wrong, I'm delighted that she does start so perhaps i should do nothing...but if I did want a faster result do I need to upgrade the coil?

Cheers

Beemer

3rd turn? But how long cranking?

I've always had to crank mine from cold for at least one to two minutes before it attempts to fire....and even then I have to keep 'chasing' it on the starter until at least 4 or 5 cylinders wake up!

Having said that it always starts first turn, anything up to an hour after having been run.

"I've always had to crank mine from cold for at least one to two minutes...."

Good job you don't live next door to my neighbour !

Starts first time if the car has been run in the last week.

Otherwise needs one 15 sec burst before starting

Tim

Tony! You can hardly compare Perth 'Cold' with UK 'Cold' :P

Mine took ages and ages and ages to start on Sunday, and kept stalling when it did..until I spotted that the Cold Start Cable 'keeper clip' had failed to hold the outter! Never had that happen before!

Just popped up the garage, started fist time within five seconds of cranking over & on all six cyclinders, last time started Friday just magic. :P

In my experience of eleven years of ownership I never take it off the road just drive as often as possible & give it the beans :lol::lol: I believe this is the best way to keep it running without issues.

Cheers

Mike B)

Hi Beemer,

Well as others have said, how long do you actually have to crank to get it to fire into life? Also when it does fire up are you onto all 6 straight away or are you missing the odd cylinder for the first few seconds?

If its the latter I understand there are some small non-return valves in the PI fuel injector lines that can leak back and partially empty the lines to the injectors that have to then re-prime on the next cold start.

Generally though I think all older cars take a short while to fire from cold - we're all used to modern EFI motors that start pretty much on the button.

In terms of my car, I believe its generally in good fettle. I'd say is generally 5-10 seconds cranking to start from cold. I listen for the PI fuel pump to prime and go 'onto load' before cranking, only 2-3 seconds. It does have an odd behaviour that I'd like others thoughts on if they have a view (not that I plan to do anything as I just see it as "Character")

Nearly every cold start, whether its a 1 day or 4 week gap in use, the motor will initially fire on 1-2 cylinders almost straight away (2nd or 3rd compression stroke), enough to fling-out the starter from the ring gear but not enough to get going. So its always a 2-attempt start. On the second attempt its then apparently 'dead to the world' for 3-5 seconds cranking and then will suddenly fire up on all 6 straight away.

Is odd, but is nearly always the same from cold.

From hot, fire up is pretty much straight away...

Cheers for now,

J.

Those symptoms suggest to me low volts at the pump on cranking, or low fuel pressure at the MU which is exacerbated by the former. What's your setup? Lucas or Bosch, relayed supply to the pump? Pressure OK running and cranking?