Triumph Seats TR2 vs Tr3 and later

Hi !

there was an ad on a dutch market place of someone offering a Triumph TR2 seat (damaged..). Unfortunately no image , the ad has been removed.

Nothing special, but he's added a line which makes me wonder..

He says that this is an early seat which has a wider rear backpanel than the later type tr3 tr3a.

is there a difference in the seats (except the tilt) between the tr2 and later seats?

Hi Edwin,

There is indeed a difference. The TR2 rear seat frame is wider towards the top of the seat than that of the TR3. I might have a photo somewhere showing the difference.

Mike

TR2 seat backs had less padding than 3A seats. Cushions had north/south stitched panels but 3A's were east/west. TR2 seats had matching piping but most 3A seats had contrasting piping.

3A passenger seats tilted forward to allow acces to the optional rear seat.

3A seats didn't come in Geranium.

Viv

Just stripped my early TR2 seats prior to trimming and found that the front of the base of the frame is totally different. It has a pressed angled shape which would lead the cushion into its position rather than the 90 degree strip on tr3 seats.

Will post a pic of the frame later.

P3260112.jpg

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Rod.

For a TR2 seat base that looks in remarkably good condition.

To confirm, my early TR3 seat bases did not have the 45° angle at the front.

Bob.