TR6 engine number suffix + differences between CP and CC engines

Good evening from Oslo,

My first post here, finally... after 16 years in the "family".

I got my hands on what I believe to be a 1969 US TR6 engine, CC XXXXX HF. What I can't find any information about is the suffix HF on this engine. I know that H suggests that it is a high compression engine, but F...? I have never seen it on CC engines before. Could it just be that the stamp was badly done and it should say HE? And what does high compression mean on these engines - will it be 9,5:1 as on CP engines or is it 8,5:1 s on "normal" CC engines? Anyone?

And while at it, what is the main differences on CP engines and CC engines apart from the compression and obvioulsy carb vs PI? Cam?

Any help is appreciated.

Knut

Oslo | Norway

Edited by SwallowDoretti

Welcome to the forum Knut!

I can't answer your questions, except to agree it might be HE not HF, but seeing as there were no replies I didn't want you to think we were ignoring you!

Regards

Steve

Hi Knut and welcome to the forum.

I am sure someone with the full knowledge will soon reply. There were two types of blocks, requiring different head gaskets. Two crankshafts and flywheels. I am not sure how the block stampings relate to these.

It is always possible the cylinder head is not that originally fitted to the engine. or has been skimmed to raise the compression. In the last year of production the USA heads were as low as 7.75:1 !!

Here is a list of original heads:

www.chriswitor.com/cw_technical/head_applications_chart.pdf‎

And here is how to calculate the CR from the head thickness:

http://www.goodparts.com/tech_docs/TR6_Compression_Ratio.html

( assuming the combustion chambers have not been reshaped.)

Peter

Have to agree with Steve here and would recommend a further look, a very close look actually to see if the engine number ends HE not HF?

Cheers

Alan

Good evening everybody and welcome to the Forum

I have a 1969 ex USA TR6, CC 29607,my White Lady" which had his Engine once in the US replaced with a 1973 Version as per Heritage Trust Certificate. The Engine Number has a CF Suffix and this i what I think is stamped on your engine as well. CF is the version with recessed Engine Block and corresponding Cylinderhead, as I found out during a Total Overhaul. Today a lot of Engines are done with a recess, but the Cylinderhead skimmed. Check Chris Witors Web Page or look through a decent Repair Manual with Specs.

Good Luck Robert

Knut,

I would suggest that it is HE.

My '69 TR6 has an engine with the suffix HE, CC28705HE

Cheers

Graeme