Emission Controls on American Exported TR7

Hi, I have recently joined the register and gave bought a 1979 left hand drive convertible which was exported to California when new and has the engine modifications for pollution control which were a requirement for that market. It also has air conditioning.

Has anyone had any experience of removing the surplus pipes, pumps and so on which forced additional air into the engine which I believe reduce engine power? If so, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Regards Philip

Hi Philip, no direct experience to share with you but you can remove the air pump & air rail without problems, you will need to buy screws or bolts to plug the air rail inlets, I have seen these for sale on Ebay USA for example, or the WedgeShop sells them online. The air injection itself doesn't reduce power but the additional drag of driving the pump does.

If the car is original you will have a catalyst in the front section of the exhaust, which again you could remove if you replace the exhaust system. I expect you will also have an EGR valve recycling gases into the inlet manifold, again you could remove that if you block off the vacuum connection & the inlet port. No benefit AFAIK in trying the change the fuel tank vapour trap & feed into the charcoal canisters.

In terms of getting a little more power from the engine, I think the air pump & the catalyst would make the biggest difference. The main thing is to make sure you plug any holes you make to prevent vacuum leaks!

If you do want to molest a reasonably environmently friendly vehicle - do so, it's your car. You will gain something like 4-5 hp...

However, IF you want to gain a lot of hp - change out the pistons and fit the EUropean versions! And leave the catalyst + air pump...