Racing when is anybody out?

Alan

Very thin entry, only 16 cars some of which had expired in the previous days BCV8 double header so only 13 in qualifying.

11 made race 1 and 10 in race 2. As expected the MGBV8s won by a country mile.

Despite thin fields and being some way off front pace my car behaved well and I enjoyed both races, particularly race 2 with a very tenacious MGB.

You were right about the Melbourne Loop, spoiled flow of circuit and two big stops take it out of the brakes.

Snetterton next on 12th April. See you there.

Dave

Dave - glad your car behaved!

Poor turnout though(even for early season)! I wonder whether the problem is a little like the demise of the TR Register race Championship - one reason (but not the only) was that it became relatively easy an relatively economical to be near or at the front with a V8! There were of course some very special V8s inTRR - but many were not - and no offence intended to anyone - but with MG V8s big power is available a damn sight cheaper than preparing a 6 pot TR and others - in its heyday we had Astons Jaguars TVRs et all - many now perhaps too valuable to race, but a good few still do race!!

Ah well Grumpy Old Git rant over - see you at Snett!!!

Edited by alan57

Hi Alan,

Yes the V8 sits easily in the TR7 and can deliver excellent torque, (much better pro rata than it's BHP output) but on the other hand it's more difficult to achieve it's handling potential.

The method preferred by many going the cheaper non technical route is make the cars suspension as hard as your vibrating eyeballs and tooth enamel can stand and don't allow the suspension to move out of their preferred position ( like a stopped clock it's correct twice every day !).

But on the other hand in the Register Race championship we were limited to 7" wide X 13" tyres and when restricted to the race control tyre the handling was sometimes challenging to say the least, all too easy to change the compound into something like chewing gum with too much right foot.

I won 2 of my 5 Register championships from the 4 cylinder Tuned class where the very sensible graded modifications throughout the different classes ( from memory there were 6, catering from Standard through to Modified) allowed all that competed to win the Championship using their own car even if in the Standard class. Allowing the modified cars (any model) to progress to the degree they did only put the costs up for all the competitors and meant that cheque book preparation would eventually move those competitors who wanted to finish at the front further away from those in Standard cars.

The modified cars were originally dominated by 4 cylinder cars of TR3 and TR4 models with the 6 cylinder cars just a heartbeat behind, it was always an anomaly that the TR7 V8 wasn't fully competitive which is why I decided to develop one that was before other people did. I departed from TR Register racing some while before it's eventual demise and therefore can't fully comment upon why there isn't a TR championship stuffed full of V8 engined cars exclusively ? Perhaps others know why ?

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Mick - you will notice from my earlier post that I stated there were some very special V8s in the TRR - I had in mind yours of course!!!

Of your 2 earlier successes - it would now sadly cost serious money to replicate Kermit which is no doubt part of the problem - traditional separate chassis TRs are very expensive to prepare to an effective and reliable standard - in whatever class - XXD for example remains fully road going, as do (I think)most other TRs presently competing. The cost of any damage repair can also be rather daunting!!!

As always, there were a multitude of different issues in the TRR - I was just wondering if there is any similarity with the Thoroughbreds?(Without wishing to be overly controversial of course!)

Edited by alan57

The method preferred by many going the cheaper non technical route is make the cars suspension as hard as your vibrating eyeballs and tooth enamel can stand and don't allow the suspension to move out of their preferred position ( like a stopped clock it's correct twice every day !).

Just have bought springs for the rear end of the TR8:

1484123_655568027811708_882437648_n.jpg

Just have bought springs for the rear end of the TR8:

1484123_655568027811708_882437648_n.jpg

Chris,

You de man, (golfing expression).

Mick Richards

Chris,

You de man, (golfing expression).

Mick Richards

Hope da springs are not too soft now.

225lb.

But would fit the 3:1 rule of thumb between front and rear.

Really curious how it will perform vice versa.

Chris,

I have it in mind that with your rear axle setup (and these new springs) the front springs may yet need to be about 1/3rd less than your current poundage, I anticipate the anti roll bars will remain the same, at least until you've tried it.

Mick Richards

With the TR8 coming soon, the TR4 needed a new transporter:

10153820_657129230988921_626911930_n.jpg

The TR8 will sit on the trailer behind.

Good thing with this little truck, it can run 100 mph.

Edited by MadMarx

Not sure what we are talking about.

I was refering to the truck, not the TR8.

The TR8 will carry on its current paint scheme.

With stealth I meant not a stealth like paint, more a camouflage paint. Not army style, more in the way that you don't get attention.

If traveling with expensive cars, better to look poor.