Luminitinons Optronic trigger voltage

:huh: I have been given a 2.5 saloon dizzy with a Luminitions chopper led trigger system .I do not have a Lumintions Ignition module. I do have a Maplins kit Ignition that uses the points as the trigger. Can I connect the two systems ? I suspect it will depend on the voltage of the optronics trigger system, Any help appreciated .

I intend to use on a TR6 currently fitted with points, an Aldon Ignitor coil and a Splitfire unit on the main ignition lead.

I have read that the Aldon Ignitor coil should only be used with a electronic Ignition. Car seems to run ok on points.

Any thoughts of wisdom!

MARK

I suspect that you cannot just connect the two.

The Luminitions parts will require a current source to illuminate the LED, & an amplified input to detect the opto diode's output.

This could only be acheaved with the use of some intermediate circuitry.

Bob.

As Bob says, it could be done but would trickier than it first appears.

what about dwell angle !

steve

The correct answer would have to come from an electronics expert who understands the innards of both the lumenition and maplins items, personally I would doubt that it is likely they will love each other.

In the interests of science you could try on mum's car and see what happens, before risking the 6.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not replied until now. Family problems!!.

Thanks for the replies but surely if I can find the switching voltage of the LED Triggers of the Luminitions unit I can run this with its own supply. Then I would only be using it as a on - off switch like the points are used on the Maplins Kit. ??

Mark,

I have two Luminition packs complete but without beam chopper. Had them mounted on my rally car. One has never been used but I seriously think it is a bit more complicated than establishing switching voltage. drop me a PM if interested.

Rgds

Rod

You also need to consider what you'll do if your hybrid system, assuming you could make it work, fails on the road. Points or a Pertronix (or clone) would be my choice then sell the Maplin kit on eBay.

I will repeat my post above :

The Luminitions parts will require a current source to illuminate the LED, & an amplified input to detect the opto diode's output.

This could only be acheaved with the use of some intermediate circuitry.

Bob.