Yes it is possible but you will still need to be fully protected up!!! Once the activator hits the paint it is giving off the nasty stuff...........

Jebus!

Can people just keep a sense of proportion with 2K? It's not Zylkon B and you'd be working in your very own gas chamber with certain death at even with the slightest whiff.

Yes I have used it professionally, and FAR more nasty stuff that the public never get to see, but sensible protection is all that is required for occasional domestic use of 2K, even painting the works van with it in the yard after dinging it.

............you'd be working in your very own gas chamber with certain death at even with the slightest whiff.

Yes I have used it professionally, and FAR more nasty stuff that the public never get to see, but sensible protection is all that is required for occasional domestic use of 2K, even painting the works van with it in the yard after dinging it.

OK Andy so before you flake out from a delayed reaction :) can you tell us what sort of baking conditions did you use?

Mike

............you'd be working in your very own gas chamber with certain death at even with the slightest whiff.

OK Andy so before you flake out from a delayed reaction :) can you tell us what sort of baking conditions did you use?

Mike

A nice sunny day… vans left in the sun get impressively hot. :)

and for brush painting 2K, HSE provide a nice information sheet.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/mr4.pdf

Mike/Neil/Andy,

many thanks for your input. I'll be using less than 1/4 Ltr for my repair and it will be outside the garage.

Some time soon I'll investigate the small spray gun I have to see how I get on.

Roger

Hi roger put a little hardener with it better job

Flash it of with a hair dryer

Then put it on again from the first mix

You can keep going like this for a while

As it goes of you can put it on panel joints etc, were the paint might slightly crack with movement

A good mask must be worn

Gloves etc

Even thinners must be avoided makes your eyes sour and gives you head ache

How about some pics

Pink

You can get face masks for short term use with 2K, some rubber disposable gloves, eye protection seems sensible, that and just out a fan behind you so any fumes are going downwind.

Roger, I am confused! If you're fishing wouldn't a rod be better than sharp knives. And if you're appearing at the Circus Maximus in gladiatorial garb, wouldn't a trident be more efficacious? Or am I missing something?

Good luck with the paint!

Hi Andy,

many thanks for your concern and suggestions. I will follow all the points posted.

I don;t want to make my old wind bags any worse than they are at present.

Roger

The occasional use masks are made by Gerson. A sensible precaution.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.XGerson&_nkw=Gerson&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Hi Roger,

I too have successfuly brush painted areas on my TR (white). Mix small amount (suprising how it spreads) of paint with hardener. I use a small glass jar, stir well.

Apply using a flat sable hair artists brush. A number of thin coats is better than thick - allow to dry between coats - the paint in the jar will not harden between coats.

When dry, finish with very fine wet/dry with a small amount of neat washing up liquid to prevent clogging. Add further coats where necessary finish with T cut then polish.

For small areas I find brushing is far less messy than spraying, and no overspray.

Remember the old saying - practice makes perfect!

Good luck.

2 pack contains isocyanate. Isocyanate can cause irreversible damage to your lungs and will set up a form of allergic reaction which means each exposure will cause proportionally more damage. Like exposure to asbestos, the amounts involved don't necessarily correlate with the risk of damage, and may be more likely to be due to individual susceptibilty.

If you are keen to wind up on a transplant list for a new lung, inhaling 2K fumes at any level is an excellent way to improve your chances of success. Your call, but note there is a perennial shortage of spare lungs.

Hi Andy,

your warning is not passing me by.

However having read numerous Gov't safety leaflets and other such things it would appear that using small quantities of the modern stuff with a brush system (a brush)

out doors in a breeze with a mask the chances of damage are very very small.

Anyway, I found my brushes. The were exactly were I left them.

Roger

• 6 years later...
On 4/4/2014 at 7:59 PM, pinky said:

Hi roger put a little hardener with it better job

Flash it of with a hair dryer

I hear he keeps the hardner with the fishnets and stilletos too.:D Just in case.

Paul

Hi Roger

Glad you found the brushes. 
I used to work in the art materials business and a sable brush in a sensible car use size will cost you a great deal and may not last too long. My advice would be to use a good quality synthetic or natural bristle. Most decorating brushes these days are synthetic but of a poor quality and on the stiff side for your application. Contact an art shop (Cornelissen.com) or a very good decorators supplier and they will be able to help with advice. I use Omega for decorating which are made in Italy and of good quality. Escoda is another good brand. The Harris offerings in diy shops and decorators merchants are mostly synthetic. 
Hope this helps. 
Now popping out to the garage to try to make some boot drain channels for the TR2. I am a long way from using a paint brush!

Keith