Windshield washer electric pump location options

A question for the folks that are using the Tudor plastic washer bottle or similar..

I dont have the manually operated pump so I'm planning on using a starter switch (press to operate) and a small electric pump. The question is where to locate the pump so it doesnt look like a mess. I guess it could go next to the plastic bottle or I could bury it under the dash somewhere so I just have to run a single plastic tube through the firewall. Anyone been down this path and come up with a good solution ?

Stan

I fit them up under the firewall behind the glove box, makes for easier pipe and power runs.

Stuart.

I fitted mine under the dash, mounted above the left hand dash support strut, which has some convenient holes in it already !

for switching I changed the normal wiper switch for a spare light switch - you have to enlarge the hole slightly) 1st pull brings on the wipers, twist & second pull squirts the washers. simples ! & looks standard with the original wiper knob on the switch.

Bob.

Excellent, thanks. I like the under-dash location also and that is a great idea Bob to use a light switch for the washer/wiper operation. Only downside that I can see is that you cant wash without wipe but to be honest my expectations of the wiper effectiveness is low to start with.

Stuart, do you just put a bolt through the firewall to mount the pump ?

Stan

Stan, I used the Moss non standard washer kit which comes with the pump motor pluged in the bottle.It comes with a push button which i mounted in the dash where the original hand pump would have been. The only problem i have with it is there is so much water preasure when the jet hits the windscreen it sprays over the top and you get a shower. I think the old hand pump would have been a lot more gentle.

Graham

Stan for a r/hand drive car I mount the pump on an angled plate bolted to the right rear one of the blanking plate captive fixings using a longer bolt with the angle works fine but for a l/hand drive one a bracket from the pedal set would give you the minimum pipe run. You would just need to pick up any plain green wire for the feed.

Stuart.

Stan for a r/hand drive car I mount the pump on an angled plate bolted to the right rear one of the blanking plate captive fixings using a longer bolt with the angle works fine but for a l/hand drive one a bracket from the pedal set would give you the minimum pipe run. You would just need to pick up any plain green wire for the feed.

Stuart.

Good point Stuart, I see lots of options for leveraging existing fasteners in the area above the LH footwell where there is a lot going on with the hydraulics, pedals and dash support.

Stan

Stan - In 1990, I reinstalled the original Trafalgar unit that came with my 1958 TR3A new. It had originally been installed in 1958 by the local S-T dealer where I bought the car. But by 1987 when I started my restoration, I found that I needed a new push plunger. So I ordered one (with lots of other items too) from Cox & Buckles on Manor Road in Richmond-on-Thames. I installed this new plunger on the dashboard but in 24 years of driving 113,000 miles in my TR since 1990, I have never needed to use the windscreen washers. I don't drive in the snow, in slush or on muddy roads.

In fact, I have never in 24 summers put any water or fluid in the Trafalgar bottle and I have never needed to use the washers. Since you live in New England, I would think that you, like me, will very rarely need to use your washers. I only drive on nice roads on sunny days and if it starts to rain, who needs a washer. The rain will do the job.

Stan - In 1990, I reinstalled the original Trafalgar unit that came with my 1958 TR3A new. It had originally been installed in 1958 by the local S-T dealer where I bought the car. But by 1987 when I started my restoration, I found that I needed a new push plunger. So I ordered one (with lots of other items too) from Cox & Buckles on Manor Road in Richmond-on-Thames. I installed this new plunger on the dashboard but in 24 years of driving 113,000 miles in my TR since 1990, I have never needed to use the windscreen washers. I don't drive in the snow, in slush or on muddy roads.

In fact, I have never in 24 summers put any water or fluid in the Trafalgar bottle and I have never needed to use the washers. Since you live in New England, I would think that you, like me, will very rarely need to use your washers. I only drive on nice roads on sunny days and if it starts to rain, who needs a washer. The rain will do the job.

Understood Don. I rarely use the ones on the TR6 but occasionally I get asked to demo them during the annual inspection. With the TR3A I have a bare tub in primer so I'm looking for anything that I could do now that would be easier to do with the car in this state. Provision for the washer pump was one of the items on my list

Plus if I am driving with aeroscreens only I can give my unsuspecting passenger a fright by operating the windshield washer :-)

Stan

I don't know any modern cars which allow washer operation without wipers too !

Bob.

True but on my truck at least the sequence is wash then wipe, with a bit of a delay between the two. In the summer the bugs are a bigger problem than the grime.

Stan

Don

You wouldn't be able to drive much in UK without needing windshield washers, last summer was good but then you need them to move the dust and the flies!!

From what I have seen of your New England country roads (on film) they look like driving roads!1

John

My electric washer switch is a Lucas original 'turn for wipers and push to squirt' from the tail gate of an old style Range Rover. (Not unlike the late TR6 operation but a much shorter switch body and only single speed). Fits in the dash hole where the original wiper switch goes, and does not touch the heater. It saved poking yet another hole in the dash panel.

Pump mounts under the wiper motor, with the reservoir where Stuart suggest.

Autosparks made my loom with the additional cables fitted for very little extra cost.

Car is a RHD TR3 1958 model. AKA TR3A.

Cheers

Peter W