TR3A Clutch Master Cylinder

There is an internal circlip holding everything in. Remove that, & the internal spring should pop everything out. If it doesn't then apply pressure to the output port from an air line (if you have one), or if not take to local garage to blow out the piston.

Bob.

Hi Lebro and Louis ~

Thank you for that. I've been able to remove the piston with no problem but how do I dismantle the piston and spring

assembly to renew the seals? My internal assembly appears to have three rubber seals (2 large and 1 small)

but the rebuild kit I bought from TR Bitz only has one large seal??? :(

Thanks ~

Tom.

That sounds wrong, there should be one large seal on the piston (plunger seal), a much smaller seal on the end of the thin "valve stem" (valve seal) and (in the workshop manual) a medium size seal in front of the piston (end seal)

The rimmers web site does not show this last one see photo.

certainly the most important one is the large one, so if the smallest one in your cylinder looks ok, then you may be able to re-fit.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID200454

As for how to dismantle - the spring thimble (in between the spring, & the big seal in the attached photo) has two thin springy blades which hold the piston inside it, prise these away (carefully) to release the piston, the rest will then come apart easily. To re-assemble just push back in & it should lock in.

be very carefull when fitting the new seal not to damage it, use fingers only no sharp screwdrivers !

Edited by Lebro

Hi Tom.

Yes, it sounds like you have been given the wrong kit. I got mine, (along with a million other items) from the TR shop in Chiswick.

I find them very helpful, & not as expensive as some.

I used to own & shoot a Winchester P14 rifle. bought as a bog standard .303 army rifle back in 1970 ish Then when .303 ammo became scarce,

I had it converted to 7.62mm with a Sweedish barrel - can't remember what make. it was a heavier barrel, & I converted the woodwork to be open top like a sporting rifle. Also made & fitted a much lighter trigger mechanism, & re-shaped the bolt to not have the cranked shape.

It wone me quite a few comps, & I was sad to sell it on when I decided to not renew my ticket about 10 yrs later.

These days just shoot air weapons, but still have a hankering to get back to some real shooting.

Also had Smith & Wesson .455 revolver (highly inaccurate), and a Browning .22 pump rifle.

Bob.