Pinking & Lumpy Part 2

Thanks Peter, I have removed all of the gasket but there are some carbon marks between the bores etc where the gasket was blown, will the meths clean that off or should I not worry to much about discolouration.

Thats the critical area. I myself would go very carefully with a wooden scraper so as not to dig in. Maybe fine wet and dry folded over the scraper, very lightly done.

There is a possibility that the combustion gases have eroded the block locally so you do not want to make that worse. But I cant see leaving the carbon is an option. A photo of discolouration might help.

Best wait until a real expert comes along before tackling that area !! - and how to check it for flatness - straightedge? plastigauge?

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Thats the critical area. I myself would go very carefully with a wooden scraper so as not to dig in. Maybe fine wet and dry folded over the scraper, very lightly done.

There is a possibility that the combustion gases have eroded the block locally so you do not want to make that worse. But I cant see leaving the carbon is an option. A photo of discolouration might help.

Best wait until a real expert comes along before tackling that area !! - and how to check it for flatness - straightedge? plastigauge?

Peter

Thanks Peter

While you still have the head off it would be good to check the timing mark on the crank pulley, use the DTI on #1 piston.

J

Thanks John, yes I have that in hand to do. I have checked previously with a piston stop but the DTI would be more accurate.

Plastigauge:

http://plastigauge.co.uk/

I think I would test the gap between cylinders with a strip of plastigauge along each land. Trial fit the head, no gasket. Examine the guage - it it is waisted in the middle the key will tell you how much depth has been lost. Hopefully it will spread uniformly, indicating no metal erosion.

Mind you I've never actually done it, but cant see why it shouldnt work...

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

Plastigauge:

http://plastigauge.co.uk/

I think I would test the gap between cylinders with a strip of plastigauge along each land. Trial fit the head, no gasket. Examine the guage - it it is waisted in the middle the key will tell you how much depth has been lost. Hopefully it will spread uniformly, indicating no metal erosion.

Mind you I've never actually done it, but cant see why it shouldnt work...

Peter

Hi Peter, I had a good clean again as you suggested with white spirit & meths and its coming up really clean. I think I may of panicked a wee bit, a bit more elbow grease and I will be good to go. One more question is when I put the studs back in do I just do them finger tight?

Hi Neil, thanks I will have a good look for cracks tomorrow. The studs look in good shape and relitivly easy to remove, is there a measurement I can refer to to check against for stretching?

Hi Peter, I had a good clean again as you suggested with white spirit & meths and its coming up really clean. I think I may of panicked a wee bit, a bit more elbow grease and I will be good to go. One more question is when I put the studs back in do I just do them finger tight?

I do mine as tight as they'll go by hand, dry. Dont know if that's right....but it has worked for me.

Its very important that the drillings the studs screw into have not got fluid hiding in them - oil etc. Tightening the head nuts can then burst the block with hydrauilc pressure as the stud turns and tries to compress the liquid.

Peter

Hi

I know this sounds drastic but if your head is no converted to unleaded it could be bad value seals.

Do compressions test; this will help establish if you have weak compression on cylinders.

Mike

Thanks Mike but heads off as gasket was gone, Head is being unleaded new valves, guides and seats etc.

I do mine as tight as they'll go by hand, dry. Dont know if that's right....but it has worked for me.

Its very important that the drillings the studs screw into have not got fluid hiding in them - oil etc. Tightening the head nuts can then burst the block with hydrauilc pressure as the stud turns and tries to compress the liquid.

Peter

Will do Peter thanks

Kevo

You will see it in the threads and look for corrosion in the studs if in doubt replace the lot and we will take it from there. :rolleyes:

Thanks Neil, I will give them a check. B)

Kevo

You will see it in the threads and look for corrosion in the studs if in doubt replace the lot and we will take it from there. :rolleyes:

Neil

The studs look really good & I have had a good look at the block and I can't see any cracks. I have picked up the head this afternoon :), so l will start reassembly this weekend :huh: .

• 5 weeks later...

Yipeeeeeee

It's all back together and running nicely, about bl@@dy time I hear you all say. Went for a run yesterday, no more pinking & lumpyness. My thanks to all for your time & patience.

Going for another shakedown run this afternoon, just got to replace the water now with anti freeze mixture this morning. So far no leaks!!!!!!

P.S do I retouque after few hundred miles?

Edited by Kevo_6

Well done for cracking the 'battle for supremacy' code Kev - a re-torque Edit: wouldn't hurt; I must still be on Italian time - albeit only one hour in advance!

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Based on a 4A, I would do what Peter and Andrew recommend. After my refurb, the new head gasket blew while I was waiting for the "book' miles to come up.

With the next head gasket, I retorqued the head bolts (with tappets off) after a few hundred K's. Still going strong.

Well done for cracking the 'battle for supremacy' code Kev - a re-torque Edit: wouldn't hurt; I must still be on Italian time - albeit only one hour in advance!

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, it was a long time coming, hope you had a great time in Italy.

I would retorque now. Peter

Thanks Peter

Based on a 4A, I would do what Peter and Andrew recommend. After my refurb, the new head gasket blew while I was waiting for the "book' miles to come up.

With the next head gasket, I retorqued the head bolts (with tappets off) after a few hundred K's. Still going strong.

I will retorque every thing this week.

What do you guys do, back off 10lbs and then retorque to 80lbs in the correct sequence?