Pinking & Lumpy Part 2

Hi All

Well things have still not improved, as regard to the 2 following threads that I started last year after IWE.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/42553-pinking-lumpy/

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/44116-prvfuel-pump-rubber-flexible-mount-fixing-question/?hl=%2Bfuel+%2Bpump+%2Bmounts

I have not been able to get in the garage as much as I would have liked, but this weekend was nice and now that I am feeling a bit better I thought I would spend the whole weekend on the car and see if I can get the butterflies balanced and to get it running nicely. (Wrong!!!)

Some History.

1. Butterflies’ balanced OK’ish

2. New Flexible Fuel Pipes (high & low pressure) & fresh fuel.

3. New throttle linkage bushes

4. New throttle linkage ball joint type adjusters

5. Recon Dizzy Doc Dizzy, rotor arm and cap

6. Recon Metering unit, injectors and new injector pipes

7. New leads

8. Changed plugs, points & condenser

9. Checked fuel pressure (106 psi)

Still runs lumpy on increased throttle, starts 1st time though and ticks over nicely, did not take it for a spin on Saturday as I can tell it is still running rough as before, so Sunday I rechecked butterflies, checked timing etc. all seems OK but now appears to be expelling some blue smoke which it has never done before but I am wondering if its doing that because it needs a good blow out. Should of taken it for a drive but I was too tired (get tired out quick since my brain haemorrhage).

So what steps do I take now, compression test I suppose. Do I squirt a couple of shots of oil into each piston when doing the test?

I am getting very frustrated :( now as i fear the worst for my engine, I am contemplating on taken it to a Garage but where?

Any recommendations/diagnosis gratefully received.

Edited by Kevo_6

Coil? and take a look at the balance tubes between the throttle bodies, mine looked ok from the top but underneath were all cracked and possibly letting air in.

Edited by PJM

Have you checked the vacuum pie from the inlet manifold to the Mu ? I had a leaky one and overfuelled, smoke and rough running.

Hi

PJM - I have tried another coil that was previously in the car before I bought the new one, but maybe worth buying a flamethrower just to be sure.

Robin - I have fitted all new vacuum pipes.

Thanks

Well I took it out tonight and run out of fuel on the way to the petrol station, put some more fuel in and it started 1st time. Any way it is pinking really bad under any sort of load but if I keep the revs low and build them up slowly it sounds good and seems smooth.

Blip the throttle and it pinks really bad. On tick over it sounds good & steady at 800 rpm. There does not seem to be any smoke now either, so that's one good thing I suppose. When I got it back in the garage I turned the lights out and could not See any sparking any where.

The pinking is quite loud & banging as opossed to a rattling sound.

Any ideas.

Edited by Kevo_6

Hi Neil

Thanks again for your quick response, this is what I have been thinking too but I set the timing, points, spark plugs checked all the usual things.

I must be doing something wrong but not sure what, just thinking i have not changed the leads over but they are new.

The thing that keeps bugging me is what changed when i was in the pub on the way back from IWE, seems i have done so much and got absolutely nowhere.

I know you had the dizzy rebuilt but could there be something wrong with it, a broken spring or something on the advance weights? Using a strobe light see if the timing marks move apart when the revs are increased.

I know you had the dizzy rebuilt but could there be something wrong with it, a broken spring or something on the advance weights? Using a strobe light see if the timing marks move apart when the revs are increased.

Thanks PJM will check that out.

Have you established true TDC as its possible that the timing marks on the pulley may now not be right if the bonding has parted company on the front pulley. If all else fails Colin at CTM isnt too far away. http://www.ctmengineering.co.uk/ They do repairs/service as well as chassis.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Thanks for your reply, I was reading about this on the search results late last night, and I was also reading about the rpm method as well. I will have go at getting a true TDC (ish) at least that will tell me how far the pulley is out and maybe I can work from there.

I used Colin last year for my wheel alignment and as you say its an option for me to take it to him (Very nice bloke) but I would really like to sort this out my self.

Many Thanks

Edited by Kevo_6

I sympathise...I went through that whole list myself under my Thread '5 Cylinders Woes' but the final thing M/U rebuild by Niel Ferguson was the cure for mine.

Just a thought regarding the Pinking...my heads not converted for Unleaded and used to Pink badly...but using Shell V-Power Nitro+ and retarded Dizzy has eliminated that !

Hi Denis

Yes I remember reading your thread with interest, my MU and injectors was also rebuilt by Neil and I also only use (When Available) V-Power. I will find true TDC and work from there.

I suppose my dizzy may have turned on the way back from IWE (jealous of me being in the pub :o).

Ohh the Joys!!!!!!!!

Quick way to get the spark roughly right is to slowly turn the disy to and fro - a few mm at its circumference -with engine running until the tickover rpm are highest.

Peter

Quick way to get the spark roughly right is to slowly turn the disy to and fro - a few mm at its circumference -with engine running until the tickover rpm are highest.

Peter

And then retard or it will still pink.

Has the fuel filter been checked? It might flow enough fuel at tickover - you see good spray cones. But you can't see the cones under load, nor measure the psi under demand: both might be failing.

Peter

You sure you've got the leads in the right order? Sometimes it's just the obvious....

Hi Jobster

The leads are correct. The car started performing this way after a 40min break in the pub on the way back from IWE last year.