Alcan 5000 Rally

Tim, a little oil on the hands is one thing, but Permatex is another. Gloves aren't only for oil (smile).

Maybe add a reflective safety vest? I've had two friends over the years lose a leg to a stupid accident by the side of their stopped cars. I'm a convert to the requirement in some European countries (like Italy) that a safety vest be accessible from the drivers seat in any car and worn when exiting the car on the roadway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well, as Graeme correctly points out, we're almost at the start date. On Friday, I fly out to Vancouver to pick up the TR from the shippers/"trainers" rail-yard and I'll head down to Seattle (well, Kirkland, to be precise) over the weekend.

All being well, as car number 5 we will roll through the start at 08:05 PST (BST +8) on Monday 18th. Depending on the rally gods and how well-placed my faith is in our rugged old sports cars, we might finish 9 days and 4,500+ miles later in Anchorage, Alaska. Our competition in the "Vintage" class is a 1983 Quattro and an as yet unidentified pre-1984 VW. Not sure I'd fully classify them as "vintage", but then maybe I'm a bit old-fashioned ;-) Oh, and if you think it will be uncomfortable in a TR for 10 or 12 hours a day, 9 days in a row...about 3/4 of the field are solo motorcycles.

For those of you who want to follow our exploits, I'm planning to post an update at the end of each day both here and on our facebook page covering a report of the day's rallying, any tales from the road and photos where possible - noting that it's probably easier to post photos on facebook rather than here (sorry, non-facebookers).

Search on Facebook for "Jan & Tim's Excellent Adventure" or click the link in my signature, below.

Cheers!

Edited by TorontoTim

Tim,

You should be in good company around the Seattle area, the 'All Triumph Drive In' is being held in Tacoma over this weekend.

http://www.tyeetriumph.org/ATDI/2014ATDI.aspx

Cheers

Graeme

Edited by graeme

Day 1 Report: Kirkland, WA to Quesnel, BC (~482 miles)

Day 1 of this rally, and our fund-raising efforts for Road Hockey to Conquer Cancer, is dedicated to my friend Chris Isaac who we lost just a week ago from cancer at the age of 35, leaving a wife and two small children.

Well, we made it! Day 1 report is coming direct from Quesnel, BC after 11 hours on the road, give or take a couple of “comfort breaks” and a Latte stop in One Hundred Mile House at the Chartreuse Moose. (heaven!).

The day started with a 65-mile run north from Kirkland followed by the first of the day’s 2 Time-Speed-Distance (TSD) or Regularity sections. These are the parts of the rally where our ability to accurately drive at a number of average speeds is tested – arrive at any checkpoint a second early, or a second late and you lose one point. There are 13 of these in the whole rally and they are likely to be the sections that decide the winners by the time we reach Anchorage.

In case anyone’s missed it, this is Jan’s first ever rally so, obviously, she has never attempted a TSD section before. We had agreed to start gently without worrying too much about our timing, but had done some calculations to help us keep somewhere close. Jan’s job was to ensure we stayed on the right road, taking all the correct turnings, and zeroing the stopwatch at the appropriate time; my job was to try to drive at the correct speed.

After 45 seconds, Jan said “This is too stressful, I don’t like this…” But I then didn’t hear a single murmur of complaint and we largely sailed through the section. Jan was fantastic: calm, organised, clear – and even put up with my usual habit of asking the same question three times. In fact, she said it was great – she could tell me to do the same thing several times without any complaint from me at all!

We crossed into Canada and then had a wonderful drive along Route 1 to Hope and, having put the top down on the TR, up through the Fraser Canyon Highway, mountains on either side. Beautiful! Many miles (and that much-needed latte) later, we had the day’s second TSD at Williams Lake. This started badly, because as soon as we set off at our allotted minute, the rail crossing ahead closed. We were immediately 3 or 4 MINUTES behind. There followed some “spirited” driving through a quick, heavy rain storm as we fought to catch up the time. I think we finally did it, but there’s no doubt that some damage was done to our score. Force Majeure, as they say.

A quick final blast to Quesnel, and a VERY well earned beer. Day One is in the books, and Jan is now a true rallyer! I’ll update Day 1 scores when I have them.

BTW: TR running beautifully so far. Let’s see what tomorrow brings…

Day 2: Quesnel, BC to Stewart, BC (~508 miles)

Today was dominated by two long, tough gravel/pot hole roads. We have been down rougher roads, but nothing so long. The first was 100 miles long, the second only 63! Both started open, wide, smooth and FAST for the timed to-the-second sections, and both became very rough, narrow and, in the case of Blackwater Road, liberally populated by unpredictable cattle. One of which I missed by inches. Compared to a TR4, they are BIG!!!!

But, we survived the day. We think we scored well on those two TSDs but the pace was relentless all day and we had to cut a short TSD at fraser Lake because no matter how fast I drove, I couldn't get out of Blackwater quick enough to make our start time. That should give us a 200 second penalty which likely puts a top three finish out of reach, but doesn't stop us enjoying the adventure.

No definitive scores yet, but I'll post them when I have them...

They have had a bit of a traumatic time day 4.

Head gasket required, waiting for it to turn up now.

Had to be towed 85 miles along a cliff road yesterday.

Their updates on FB are really great, photos too.

Ps. One windscreen wiper gone, windscreen cracked, huge cows encountered and missed one by about four inches, bears galore and mouses.

Edited by SuzanneH

Ps. One windscreen wiper gone, windscreen cracked, huge cows encountered and missed one by about four inches, bears galore and mouses.

Su'e,

The plural of mouse is mice, but then, thats not what you meant is it. :D;)

Paul (Lord flashart on here) and I have both been trying to help Tim & Jan. Paul has been in touch with Drakes and hopefully will ship gaskets to them today.

Cheers

Graeme

Drakes have the gasket set and hopefully it's on the fastest courier known to man on it's way to Whitehorse in the Yukon.

I spoke to Tim this morning and he said he has the engine stripped but hadn't yet removed the head. Fingers crossed it's just the gasket and nothing more serious!

Paul

Thanks to Paul and some amazing people in Whitehorse, we have the engine stripped down for a new head gasket, the head skimmed (slightly warped, but only minor) and new gaskets flying here for 10:30 tonight all ready for a fast build in the morning.

If all goes well, we should be back on the road by mid-morning and heading for Dawson. Yes, we'll be a day behind the rest of the rally, but this is all about endurance and making it to the end if at all possible, no matter what gets thrown at you. If we can still make it, then I'll claim victory, no matter what.

Thanks for all the help and support - more news when we have it.

BTW, we were sitting in 2nd place earlier in the rally, but had slipped to 10th before the great kettle incident... Where we'll be by the end, we don't yet know.......

Don't know if the original engine had it's head retorqued after it's rebuild but remember to do it with this reworking. I'd do it after about 200 miles or if more convenient at the end of the next stage (as long as it's not more than say 500 miles).

Mick Richards

They have fitted the new gasket and are off on the road again a couple of hours ago.

Well done Jan and Tim, your eventual report should make a change from the usual TR Action tedious travelogues of how we did the Stelvio at a pace which wouldn't frighten Great Grannie, and got recovered home by the RAC when a droggle nut fell off . . . . :D

Keep the good work up !

Cheers

Alec

They have gone over the North Pole and are at a place called Chicken, some great pictures on FB.