Who supplies the best rebuilt rear hubs?

I have a noisy rear bearing. I have mulled over upgraded axles and rebuilt hubs and I have concluded that based on the 2 or 3,000 miles I do a year that the uprated CV axles, albeit nice, are over kill for what I need. I am happy just to replace the one dodgy hub and keep going.

The problem I have is deciding where to get one. I have searched the forum and there is varying reports on hubs from different suppliers (not easy to search hub as it is only 3 letters....). I want to buy from someone that will have stripped, inspected, and rebuilt only good cores and built them properly.

Who do people recommend? Moss? TR Improvements? TR Shop?

any advice appreciated.

Padraig

Edited by Ghianightmare

I met the very friendly owner of Classic Driving Develeopments at Stoneleigh, he's selling uprated hubs and shafts at a decent price.

I agreed to buy a full set, ie rear hubs and cv jointed shafts and front hubs and uprated stub axles etc.

Have not been able to contact them since, either by email or phone.

So whilst these items did look excellent the jury is still out!

Shall report back if I do ever make the purchase, does anyone have experience with Classic Driving Develeoments?

Steve

Steve,

If you send me a PM I can supply mobile number and email address for Alasdair Southall of Classic Driving Developments who operates from Shipston on Stour.

I have a brand new set of his new uprated rear hubs sitting in my garage waiting for me to fit them.

These were supplied at additional cost as replacements for refurbished and uprated hubs he supplied to me last year which did not come up to scratch.

He was very sensible about swapping them and admits there are always issues with refurbishing original hubs as it is very difficult to assess the wear or damage to them.

I cannot yet comment on the new hubs.

Meanwhile, I know SC Parts also now supply remanufactured uprated hubs and driveshafts at an attractive price but they are not a supplier I care to use.

I did not swap to CV driveshafts as there are various doubts expressed as to whether a CV joint is suitable in this location. I fitted uprated standard driveshafts which seem to be OK.

My engine is significantly uprated and I drive the car hard.

If you've ever seen just how many tons it takes to split the hub from the shaft you might consider that rebuilding them at all by anybody might be a bit iffy.

Have a hunt for a good s/h one (don't forget also fitted to saloons and stags) or Invest in a new one, why take the chance?

Jerry

By coincidence I ended up in Heathrow having a few hours between flights on Friday and so I popped down to Moss on the bus. Having considered my options and my requirements, I bought a reconditioned one from Moss as I saved on shipping and Moss have a good reputation.

In relation to buying a used one, I would have a lot of concerns as there is no way of knowing its history, whether it is seviceble, or whether it has been rebuilt before.

I has the option to rebuild my own as I know someone with the original tool, and if I had done that I would have been limited to performing a visual inspection, so the reconditioned unit can't be any worse than what I would have done.

Thanks for the advice.

Hi!

In my experience I would not go for recon - hubs. Due metal fatigue of the wheel flange/ hub area. One of our members has already had this happen to his car. It was a very expensive repair! TR's do not like going along on 3 wheels!

Sometime ago I spoke to one of the hub re-conditioners. ' I am not reconditioning anymore hubs because 20% of the hubs sent back for re-conditioning are cracked!' He used to have them Crack Tested, Do all the re-conditioners do this? Best to buy a complete new hub.

Another point when changing the UJ's. Do not use use the cheap ones, only use the Hardy Spicer type and make sure that they are well greased, including the sliding splines, only with CV Joint grease.

AstonTR6

• 3 months later...

OK maybe you can help me out here.

The left rear wheel bearing of my TR6 PI is very noisy.

New original hubs are not for sale.(at least I do not know where)

Recon units have a chance to fail early.

Rebuilding the hub myself has a 20% chance of failure, the successful option not being better than the recon unit?

What's my solution, I live in the Netherlands and my car will not pass MOT next month :-(

Most suppliers in my country get their parts from Moss

Thanks for your attention.

Edited by Willem

I installed the moss reconditioned unit as mentioned above. I considered spending the money in the good part cv units but decided I needed the money for other things. The result is that my car performs fine, I drove 500 miles ( relatively quickly) around Wales in May and thoroughly enjoyed my self. I was with 2 Porsche Boxters and gave them a run for their money! At no point did I think that the up rated shaft and the extra 1000 would have improved my experience.

I am happy with my moss unit