I have Vredstein 195/65/15 on my 6, and am happy with them.

My local tyre place of choice, Universal tyres in Staines, recommend Vredstein and do them at good prices.

I now have this make on both the TR and the Golf, both performing well.

Steve

ps, not sure exactly which model i have on the TR, could check if you like ?

Hi Dave

I have fitted Verdestien Sprint Classic tyres to my 6. I chose 165 80 HR15 86H. They suit the car and more importantly the car handles really well. I think that the original spec was 165HR 15SP with a profile aspect ratio of 80-82. From what I can remember the maximum width for 5 ½ inch rims works out to be 185mm. The 165 80 HR15 86H tyre spec is very close to the original and is within the 2.5% rolling radius range of the original tyre spec. Some insurance companies insist that when fitting tyres that do not match the original spec, there must be a very close match to the original rolling radius. Once you have made your final choice, I would recommend that you check with your insurance company before you splash out on new tyres.

Al

Hi,Dave, I have 185's on my CF (5 1/2J wheels). I fitted them 7 years ago,when I bought the car. They are generally OK, but I have reservations about their performance in the wet. Since they're now so old, I should probably replace them this year, though at this time, I have no idea with what. I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Austin

You guys must have arms like popeye, to steer those fat tyres...Too much grip for the chassis...I don't see the point of em, makes the car look like a Beach Buggy!

Edited by Denis
  • 2 weeks later...

You guys must have arms like popeye, to steer those fat tyres...Too much grip for the chassis...I don't see the point of em, makes the car look like a Beach Buggy!

My car is CF, ex-California. All the CF's had 5 1/2J rims, and were fitted with 185's. i understand that the tyres of that era were 80 aspect, I don't know if they are still available.

Austin

My car is CF, ex-California. All the CF's had 5 1/2J rims, and were fitted with 185's. i understand that the tyres of that era were 80 aspect, I don't know if they are still available.

Austin

Austin

I too have an ex-California CF, on Coker 185 red line with 80 aspect ratio. They are still, available, but at a handsome premium. They are not the best tyre on the market, but... they fill the wheel arches well.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulAA

Interesting! I wonder if Triumph upgraded the stub axles?

Interesting! I wonder if Triumph upgraded the stub axles?

Why upgrade? The shock forces on the axle from hitting a pothole or swiping a kerb will be far greater than cornering or braking forces forces, and wont be reduced by narrow tyre width. The bearings are a weaker design and I'd expect to see excessively fast bearing wear with fat tyres, which we dont.

Peter