capiilary tamperature gauge

Good evening wise and experienced ones.

As a novice to TR engineering I am about to fit a reconditioned water temperature gauge but am the concerned that the fit between the probe and the gland nut will not be sufficient to stop any leaks of water. Is there a suggested way of fitting to ensure no leaks? I am considering putting Boss White between the probe and the gland nut and PTFE tape round the gland nut just as one would on central heating pipe work or is this just overkill as the soft solder at the end of the probe where it meets the gland nut will provide an adequate seal.

Any advice would be really good as many of you must have dealt with this issue before..

The nut does not need to seal, it's function is to push the probe into the hole as far as the ridge on it will allow, the seal is between the ridge, & the housing. I would recommend putting some sealant on the ridge eg red hermatite or similar.

Bob.

Liquid PTFE works best for the seal of the probe just make sure the housing isnt corroded where it sits. The nut just holds the probe in but a little drop on the thread doesnt go amiss.

Stuart.

• 3 weeks later...

I would get an threaded adaptor to fit between the housing and the bulb retaining nut. You then have a fighting chance of getting it to bits in the future.

Rebbingtons do one that I have on my car. RTR8155 - Hell of a price but saves a lot of arse ache and potentially damaged temp sender. http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/product_display.asp?mscssid=R4K37UV4QWKB8KMC09PL0G0WTP9D9NE3&ProductID=RTR8155