Been told TuRK needs a new.....................

................Hood!

Well, now VUX has gone (my 72 TR6) the Long Haired Colonel (LHC) is less than impressed with TuRK's hood to keep out the rain which works its way under the front hood seal - and then dead insects when the rain stops! I popped over to see Mike Ellis the other weekend to look at his original ST hood and also a NOS front double-flap hood seal. Mike was at mine yesterday morning and suggested that TuRK's hood wasn't worth spending money on getting the double-flap fabricated and sewn in. Shame, it's been with TuRK since the early 70s!

Sadly, it looks like the LHC has won the day and I will be buying a new hood, and while I'm at it a tonneau and hood-stick cover too - so who makes/supplies the best quality vinyl; Don Hoods, Prestige Hoods, Moss or others?

All this is, and other improvements, is in preparation for Angouleme in September and trip further afield next year.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew ~

I bought a complete set of weather equipment and sidescreen recovering kit from John Skinner.

I am yet to fit them as my car is still waiting to be reassembled after it's respray.

I found the quality of the goods excellent. Unfortunately Skinner's no longer produce the sidescreen

recovering kit.

Tom.

Hi Andrew ~

I bought a complete set of weather equipment and sidescreen recovering kit from John Skinner.

I am yet to fit them as my car is still waiting to be reassembled after it's respray.

I found the quality of the goods excellent. Unfortunately Skinner's no longer produce the sidescreen

recovering kit.

Tom.

John was willing to recover my sidescreens, but did not have a template for tr2, later ones would not be a problem..

Roadster Factory in Pennsylvania made mine in 1989. The sidecurtainframes were re-covered like new by Larry Learn who does them for Roadster Factory. My top was made in California by the vinyl people who were suppliers to Roadster factory at the time. The vinyl I chose was beige, almost the same as the original Tan colour as it is called on the Heritage build record. Roadster factory will supply vinyl samples if you ask. My top has the double flap alng the front and I had to mark and punch 1/2" diameter holes so holes in the inner flap side around the hexagon part of the tenax pegs along the top of the windscreen frame. See photo.

Roadster Factory made the white sidecurtains for Vincent Paccellieri (TS11L) in France. They have even made improvements on the sidecurtans since we saw TS11L at Harrogate in 2012. Roadster Factory had a story about this recently. I understand that they are making the newer set for Vincent.

Hoods and tonneaux from The Roadster Factory are produced by Robbins Auto Top LLC in California.

http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/triumph.php

The Roadster Factory did the sidecurtains for my car last year -- very nice work, I gotta say. They sell the bits for those who want to do the recovering themselves. Some of the details they've worked on are super.

http://www.zeni.net/trf/webcatalog/specials6.16/index.php?menu=&page=13

or they'll do the job completely.

http://www.the-roadster-factory.com/side_curtain_flyer.htm

They're replicating the PERSPEX imprint

i-3HdCk7j-L.jpg

The sliding windows have replicated the small handle. The fixed windows are in polycarbonate, a seriously tough polymer.

i-qpv7Lr4-L.jpg

i-4TQsKvG-L.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, Skinners no longer make Hoods on a day to day basis - as advised to me when I met Jonathon Skinner last week.

I have, in the last year or so, had some experience on the "Hood front" for my "4" and was not impressed by the product sold by that well known supplier just across the Thames from us. it is a well made Hood, but it just doesn't fit properly! I suspect the same supplier makes their Hoods for Sidescreen cars.

Would suggest you pop into Rees Bros and ask if they have recently fitted any Hoods for sidescreens and if so, how did they get on and who supplied them?

Otherwise, can only suggest that you take your current Hood along to a supplier (I assume your Hood fits OK?) and see how it measures up against a new one before you buy it.

As a last resort, I know a relatively local guy who might make you one, but I don't know how busy he is or how much he would charge.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the leads and recommendations, I'm now following a few up and one in particular looks very promising who will fabricate the front double-seal flap from a template.

Edit: Geoff - I hope you are well. Sorry, I know you rate them highly, but I won't go anywhere near Rees Bros based on my past experience.

Alan,

I'm likely to be replacing the hood, tonneau and hood stick cover (all of 70s 'vintage') and they are yours for a bottle of Michael's red if you want them when we're over for Angouleme in September?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, Skinners no longer make Hoods on a day to day basis - as advised to me when I met Jonathon Skinner last week.

Cheers

Geoff

Strange. John is making a complete set interior, carpet, tonneau and hood for me right now...?!

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the leads and recommendations, I'm now following a few up and one in particular looks very promising who will fabricate the front double-seal flap from a template.

Edit: Geoff - I hope you are well. Sorry, I know you rate them highly, but I won't go anywhere near Rees Bros based on my past experience.

Alan,

I'm likely to be replacing the hood, tonneau and hood stick cover (all of 70s 'vintage') and they are yours for a bottle of Michael's red if you want them when we're over for Angouleme in September?

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

I could even stretch to a case ! But I douvbt you will have the space in the car to carry them down here in September so let me know when you have the new ones fitted and I can organise transport if needed

Cheers and thanks

Alan

Strange. John is making a complete set interior, carpet, tonneau and hood for me right now...?!

Hi Edwin,

I did say that Skinners are no longer making Hoods on a "Day to Day" basis and that is true. However, depending how busy he is, Jonathon will consider making a hood for a customer, if that customer (like you) is buying a fair bit of kit.

I saw him last week to discuss some new seat covers and foams and he volunteered to make me a Hood (if required) at a quiet time of year in the future. But, on a general basis, he no longer makes Hoods.

Geoff

Andrew

I could even stretch to a case ! But I douvbt you will have the space in the car to carry them down here in September so let me know when you have the new ones fitted and I can organise transport if needed

Cheers and thanks

Alan

Alan,

That's why god made boot-bags.............. :)

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I had a tonneau and surrey top made to measure by J Mussell and Son at not much more than you would pay anyway.

They are near you at

Manor Yard

Lower Manor Road

Godalming GU7 3EG 01483 426526

Excellent quality and fitted to the car

Regards

John

Graham,

Many thanks ! An additional question, is it engraved on the in-or outside ..?

Raymond

My guess? Inside. On the outside, the more or less rough surface of the material where the word is printed/engraved will easily catch dirt, making the word 'Perspex' look shabby.

Menno

Alan,

That's why god made boot-bags.............. :)

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Are you still on for Stelvio next year? We go in June this year., so Angouleme will have to wait.

Dave

Andrew

Are you still on for Stelvio next year? We go in June this year., so Angouleme will have to wait.

Dave

I think so Dave, the LHC is making noises about going to California for 3 weeks next year, so we'll have to see. Edit: She hasn't mentioned that she wants me to go with her............ :D

I'd be interested to hear about your trip to use as a lever on the LHC, so hopefully you'll post some words and photos to encourage the rest of us?

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi Don,

I like your imprint detail on your side screens! Can you provide me the exact details where the text "PERSPEX" is located?

Raymond

Hi Raymond --

I think others have answered the questions exactly right. Sorry about the pix -- they did leave something to be desired, but I posted on the road and that's all I had online. I'll be home over the weekend and I can put up some better photos then of the Perspex imprint including exact dimensions.