Fitting mx 5 seats to TR4

Is there a problem with using the seat belt anchor on the MX5 seat? TR trader mentions removing it twice on his website?

the regular seatbelt mounting points are significantly more secure than the 4 nut/bolts used to hold the seat to the floor pan - if you use the seat-mounted MX5 anchor those are what you would be relying on in the event of an accident, probably wouldn't be the best choice.

....... Andy

the regular seatbelt mounting points are significantly more secure than the 4 nut/bolts used to hold the seat to the floor pan - if you use the seat-mounted MX5 anchor those are what you would be relying on in the event of an accident, probably wouldn't be the best choice.

....... Andy

ok but the MX5 was designed to rely on this fitment? I'll probably use stock just seemed the seat mounted was neater.

Thanks for the pictures savannah.

Hi Niall,

I think I like your approach best using 50x6mm flat bar which I can get easily, either welded or bolted to the MX5 seat frame.

Does the seat base have enough clearance to move back and forwards in the runners freely? I want it as low as possible because I'm tall.

Also you mention using large washers on the floor.....between the frame and floor or on the underside of the floor (arent there captive nuts there?) Many Thanks

Yes there is just about enough clearance if not a few taps of a Hammer to the underside will sort it.

Yes there are captive nuts but you'll find if you use my method you'll have to Drill your own Holes and use the lager Washers,I wouldn't rely on what's there already.

If you PM me an email I'll send on Photos if you want.

I made my own using flat plate bolted to the original holes in the floor and with welded in studs to match the seat runners. Bit of a faff getting all the holes to align but not difficult. Works a treat.

Alan.

Passenger side Pics,

This is what's needed to get the Seat fully back to Wheel Arch and also the fully forward position.

The Second Pic is the Backrest tilted forward showing the Seat Corner touching the Wheel Arch.

Edited by TR NIALL

Looks tight but doable.

Alan spot on, did you use 6mm like Niall to get movement of the seat?.

Will get flat bar Friday. Probably won't cut the front corner off so severely but I understand this was to get the seat aligned to steering wheel.

Don't forget anything added below the Rails will Higher the Seat.

Those Seat Runners were also in a Triumph Spitfire that's the reason for the other set of Holes and why the Seat Runner Corners are cut there is no need to cut the Corners for a TR6 but do make sure you clear the Bpost with the Backrest when Fitting,you may also find it handier to remove the Backrest while working on the Seats,much easier to Weld and handle the Seat Bases in and out of the Car.

Don't forget anything added below the Rails will Higher the Seat.

Those Seat Runners were also in a Triumph Spitfire that's the reason for the other set of Holes and why the Seat Runner Corners are cut there is no need to cut the Corners for a TR6 but do make sure you clear the Bpost with the Backrest when Fitting,you may also find it handier to remove the Backrest while working on the Seats,much easier to Weld and handle the Seat Bases in and out of the Car.

Roger that good advice and understood about the cut corner not being needed, makes seense.

I am probably going to do what Alan did and use bolts to fit the flat bar to the MX5 frames rather than weld it.

Niall I had assumed you used 6mm bar as opposed to 4mm (which would be meaty enough I think) to get slightly more lift so the seat base cleared the floor?

Roger that good advice and understood about the cut corner not being needed, makes seense.

I am probably going to do what Alan did and use bolts to fit the flat bar to the MX5 frames rather than weld it.

Niall I had assumed you used 6mm bar as opposed to 4mm (which would be meaty enough I think) to get slightly more lift so the seat base cleared the floor?

I used 6mm as that's what was available to me,as soon as you have everything Striped and in front of you you'll understand the best way to Attack.

Looks tight but doable.

Alan spot on, did you use 6mm like Niall to get movement of the seat?.

Will get flat bar Friday. Probably won't cut the front corner off so severely but I understand this was to get the seat aligned to steering wheel.

Not as thick as 6mm. Probably more like 4mm. The studs were bolts with the heads removed.

Alan.