Early vs late TR7 doors, how different they are ?

Hello chaps,

I need a pair of very good, or almost as new, TR7 convertible doors (yes, I've sent a message to Rob), but can you please tell me the differences between early (ie round inner lock button, the most commonly found) and late (ie square inner lock button) panels ?

My first car, owned since nearly 30 years, is a late model TR7 (end of 1981), with the square lock buttons, and I would like to know what kind of work I may need to modify earlier doors, as the inner door handle, in the middle of the panel, is different too.

Cheers,

Wasn't aware the door was different, thought it was just the hardware and door card. I've got the later handle, different armrest on an early door (haven't checked the interior lock button but presumed just the button differed and not the wire connector).

Can't speak from experience but the late doors do have a different part number, suggesting that there is some difference in the metalwork. I seem to recall that the position of the door lock button where it comes through the trim panel is slightly different, which in turn could mean that the aperture in the door framework is in a different position.

Presume you will be transplanting the actual lock mechanisms as complete assemblies, as these do have different linkages compared to the round lock type, don't think you can "mix 'n match".

The later door have a recess in the frame for the internal locking knob to sit.The early doors don't have this.It's quite a straightforward job to transplant the required portion of the door from late to early.

The internal door catch, although different between early and late they both fit in the same place so there is no difference there.

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Steve for your help.

So, I can use "early" doors by converting them to the late "square button" model, it mean that I'll not have to waste my time searching for late doors.

All I have to do now is to decide if I buy a pair of rebuilt doors, or rebuilt mine.....

Hi Chris Rob James has or did have a very good pair of doors for sale,see his posting on here,worth contacting him to see if he still has them.

Cheers

Moe