I have a problem with my 59 3a that I'm part way through restoring in that I have no means of securing the boot lid. I had a look at John Slater's (Kent TR Group) 59 car today and his has a vertical bracing extending from the boot floor to the point that the boot lock engages upon closing (if that makes sense).Unfortunately mine doesn't, in fact it has nothing around the boot aperture for the boot lock to fix to at all. It may seem a daft question but did all 3a's have the same arrangement as Johns as I've not seen any images to detail this in any of the publications that I have or from trawling the Net etc.

Many thanks

Graeme

Thanks for the photo, on the car I saw earlier there was an additional oblong of flat steel that had been welded to the horizontal section of the brace, it appears that the locking arm locates under this therefore securing the lid. Not being familiar with the 3a I'd assumed that there'd be some kind of pin for this purpose, is the arrangement the same on your car?

Thanks Graham, I've bought a salvaged part off eBay which looks similar to yours ; it's still not clear to me how the locking arm engages with the top of the brace though. It almost looks like it secures b yway of friction; there doesnt appear to be anything for it to latch onto?

Thanks Graham, I've bought a salvaged part off eBay which looks similar to yours ; it's still not clear to me how the locking arm engages with the top of the brace though. It almost looks like it secures b yway of friction; there doesnt appear to be anything for it to latch onto?

On my car the trunk lock is similar to a budget lock mechanism except that it is turned via the locking handle. The lock assembly has a metal bar that rotates when locked and engages behind the bit of the metal brace that is sticking up. In this position the trunk lid cannot be opened without some external force.

Stan