Historic Motor Vehicle Road Tax

And, does anyone know how we will get our cars, Historic or not, Road Fund Taxed in October (?) when tax discs start to be phased out?

All online? I can already do that for my SORNed registration, or will it still be a trip to the Post Office, MoT and insurance forms in hand?

John

Hi Steve ,

have you also received your new reg certificate showing the car is now historic.

I`ve received the amended reg certificate stating historic, but no tax disc as yet.Must be coming from a different department.

Hopefully in the next few days.

Dave :mellow:

Dave,

No I haven't got my new log book V5 yet. In the letter which came with the tax disc it said it would follow in a few days time.

Steve

Just a matter if interest, presumely not everyone tax disc ran out in March or the car was sorned. Are you now claiming back your unused months, when I filled my form out it did seem strange having an expiry date in the future and requesting a tax disc to overlap!!

It was a pity that DVLA did not put a message up to advice customers in advance what to do, which would have saved them alot of admin time. I also wonder how many '73 cars are left that can be converted to historic, all makes, I suspect its not a thousand, and are all the owners aware.

Guess our equivalent of the 'tax disc' was the 'rego' label stuck on the inside of the windscreen.

Here the states seem to be doing away with the rego label.

There are so many cameras on the roadside and in the police cars, reporting back to base and a computer, that I guess they can tell if you are properly registered in a couple of milliseconds.

Came back off long weekend break yesterday, v5 and tax disc waiting for me....car now on hysterical tax and no problems :)

Dave

Both my TR3, & my Hillman Aerominx (1935) had their tax disc reminder through today (in the same envelope !)

Neither of them needs, or has a valid MOT cert. The reminder states "THIS VEHICLE NEEDS AN APPROPRIATE MOT TEST CERTIFICATE"

so, when I started to renew the tax disc online I did not expect it to work.

But it did ! You have to tick "yes" to all the initial questions, enter the reference code given on the reminder, then keep pressing "next", & voila

it's done, got an email shortly after saying the disc will arrive within a few days.

Looks like DVLA have actually got something right this time.

Bob.

From a slightly different angle.

I went to the post office to get a tax disc. Handed over the V5, MOT & Insurance & requested a change to the taxation class to have it pointed out that on the V5 the date of first registration is April 1993 (Californian Import). So I bought tax for 6 months.

I'm now going to try and use a V70 "Application to exchange a tax disc" send it to the DVLA and see what happens.

Cheers

Steve

As originator of this post I should report that I went off to my local Post Office today armed with signed, completed to "historic" class V5 and in turn received nil to pay Tax Disc. Job done!

Thanks to all for your replies and comments,

Kind regards,

David

• 10 months later...

Hi, anyone able to advise me about changing my TR6 to historic tax class please?

The car was built on 30 December 1974 (I have the Heritage Certificate), but not registered until 29 October 1975. It is currently taxed until May 2015. I've phoned DVLA for advice twice. First a lady told me I can send in the V5C now to have the tax class changed to historic, and explained that I will get an automatic refund of unused months. She didn't mention a V10, nor proof of build date, so I called again and this time a man told me I can't apply at present. He wouldn't say when my car would become eligible for historic class and although he acknowledged that the current rule is "vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1974", he kept quoting my registration date as the one that mattered. He couldn't find teh date of manufacture on DVLA's records, and kept dodging my question about sending proof. He ended by saying ring back towards the end of March to find out if there would be any change in the rule. All very vague and conflicting and I can't find any specific advice on-line at DVLA.

I think I can apply for the change but not until after 25 March 2015. I think if I submit the V5C (log book) with section 7 completed to apply for a change to historic class and send a copy of the Heritage Certificate, I should then receive a refund of tax paid for April and May. I don't think I need a V10, but will send one anyway. I don't think they need the MOT or insurance certificate (they can check on-line), but will send copies anyway. Anyone able to confirm or offer alternative advice please?