Film of how a TR6 engine works

Brilliant stuff.

Thanks for the link Peter, looks like you have been in there with the polish. ;)

Cheers

Graeme

Excellent!

Did I miss the thrust washers going in?

Its fast - anyone know how youtubes can be played back frame by frame?

Peter, get a copy of the video on your PC using one of those (terribly naughty) YouTube video downloader addons for FireFox, then play it back using VLC. VLC has a variable speed facility (>Playback >Speed) - it's the only player I know which does.

Richard

Excellent!

Peter, get a copy of the video on your PC using one of those (terribly naughty) YouTube video downloader addons for FireFox, then play it back using VLC. VLC has a variable speed facility (>Playback >Speed) - it's the only player I know which does.

Richard

Richard,

Many thanks, it gives much better playback control.

And they did leave out the thrust washers!

cheers

Peter

Did I miss the thrust washers going in?

Its fast - anyone know how youtubes can be played back frame by frame?

Having thrust washers didn't seem to make a lot of difference to the crankshaft end float on my first car, a clapped-out TR250... But I didn't see any go in on that engine.

One can review youtube videos frame-by-frame (I think -- certainly few-by-few) on a PC by pausing the video and manually moving the slider -- it gives a preview of the frame one is on.

Edited by Don H.

There are a lot of these engine-animation videos. They seem to start with the detail drawings.

I've seen modern engines done and they probably started with CAD images.

But to do a TR6 it means someone has re-modelled the detailed parts from the paper drawings.

There is a lot of work in this. Even doing it approximately.

There then must be an animation tool that does most of the work.

Playback on my (old) PC was a bit jerky, but when the engine started it sounded just like most 6's I have heard !

Very good animation must have taken weeks !

Bob.

Yes, I wondered how much time it took.

The starting viewpoint for many of the sequences seems to have been derived from the parts catalogue. So that gives them a digitised version of each image. But the parts drawings are 3D representations so there must be manual input of the three axes needed get from 3D to 2D. Then the 2D side views and front views are like 'blueprints' and could be re-scaled and stitched together, along abutting edges - manually? - to give a solid that can be rotated in space by animation software.

I'd like to see the PI metering unit animated!

Yes, I wondered how much time it took....

Some folks over here on the team.net Triumphs list have estimated 400+ hours for someone well-versed with Solidworks. Building the little parts would be the main part -- the animation goes pretty quickly when all the bits are ready.

And it brings to mind this analog version of the same kind of project.

Thanks for the link, Peter, it's nice to see our favorite six pots "in motion".

Very good, wish we could assemble an engine as quickly.....

Some folks over here on the team.net Triumphs list have estimated 400+ hours for someone well-versed with Solidworks. Building the little parts would be the main part -- the animation goes pretty quickly when all the bits are ready.

A little bit of investigation reveals that Williams Illustration is Arthur Williams. Check out the German entries on the Overseas Section of the TR-REGISTER web-site. So I have cheakily emailed him to ask, although it may be that asking an artist "how long" is not the done thing!

A little bit of investigation reveals that Williams Illustration is Arthur Williams. Check out the German entries on the Overseas Section of the TR-REGISTER web-site. So I have cheakily emailed him to ask, although it may be that asking an artist "how long" is not the done thing!

His email address leads us to his company website:

http://www.williams-illustration.de/index_en.html