Electric power steering

Here in Oz the only affordable 165x80 R15 are designated as truck tyres, used by what I gather you refer to as “white van man”. Any that are described as suitable for a classic sports car make power steering look cheap, and I mean comparing the PS to a single set! Don’t know whether that’s just an example of price discrimination, but there you go. I don’t look to my car to build my fitness and strength - my days as a Scout with a trek cart cured me of that! I love the elegance of the hydraulic version mentioned here. I'm just worried it will preclude me from fitting an air conditioning compressor...

JC

5 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

With the right size tyres (165 x 15), the steering is lovely at all speeds.

Gareth

Please allow me to ask:

how do you make this components speed sensitive for higher speeds?

Shure you understand what I ask with this stupid question ....

Edited by Z320
1 hour ago, Z320 said:

Please allow me to ask:

how do you make this components speed sensitive for higher speeds?

Shure you understand what I ask with this stupid question ....

What is speed sensitive, with power steering I guess it means the faster you go the less power you need, so if it's possible to lower that assistance somehow maybe? 

As far as a change of tyres, it will make slow speeds easier, geometry, camber etc will neutralise higher speed sensitivity. 

Gareth

According to the wiring loom fitting instructions sent to me by one of the suppliers, they gave this information. Basi cally the unit has a torque adjustment that you attach a rotary switch to. Another reason I did not think it was the solution for me.

image.thumb.png.a831f415f07de07459f00629d044559d.png

When this type of steering is fitted to a modern the speed sensitivity is governed by the speedo reading through one of the ECU. It would probably be possible if you obtained the relevant ECU from the donor vehicle and fitted a suitable pickup somewhere to do the same on a retrofit.

Stuart.

You are correct, Stuart. They supply the EPS ECU box as part of the loom but not a link to the speedo using the wired in rotary knob instead presumably because there are so many speedos out there that it is impossible to know how to wire them all. I suggest one is still on your own with these EPAS systems.

4 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

I suggest one is still on your own with these EPAS systems.

The Dutch company Menno linked to say they have a couple of speed sensor alternatives: One mounts between speedo cable and speedo; the other uses GPS.

JC

Sorry me, my question was ironic.

Of course the standard TR steering is not speed sensible,

means the system does not demand for more steering power FROM THE DRIVER on higher speed.

So why a EPS should do this?

Advantage of every EPS is the torque senor inside, it always demands for about the same steering forces on any speed.

1044186980_torquesensor02.jpg.9960e7ca5e8aba0295e71b700d7f05b9.jpg

It automatically reduces the support of the unit on higher speed when you give less torque on the steering wheel.

Find your basic setup with the knob below the dashboard and be happy.

In my opinion the discussion about another power reduction sensible to the speed is overrated,

that's why the kits do not have this feature.

Edited by Z320
  • 1 month later...
On 11/8/2020 at 9:38 PM, JohnC said:

Are there any speed-sensitive, or angle-sensitive systems available? Many years ago I drove a car with experimental angle-sensitive hydraulic assistance. Really impressive. But that requires a non-linear rack (I think). Is the hydraulic system referenced above (by iani) progressive? And are any of the available EPAS systems progressive in any way?

JC

I've got an old  GMH Statesmen with speed and angle sensitive steering. Like Stuart says it's basically electronic- signals from the speedometer and body control module  feed into pulsing solenoids and a rotary throttling valve that reduces the amount of power assist at high speed and increase it at high speed/parking. The Statesman might be old but it's 24 years younger than my TR6. I can't see how variable ratio steering can be easily adapted into a TR6's basically mechanical systems.

2 hours ago, Mike C said:

I can't see how variable ratio steering can be easily adapted into a TR6's basically mechanical systems.

Nor can I, but thought it worth asking. Sounds like the closest is the hydraulic falling-rate system, which would reduce assistance as RPM increases.

John

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Nor can I, but thought it worth asking. Sounds like the closest is the hydraulic falling-rate system, which would reduce assistance as RPM increases.

John

Or just a lesser assistance rack. The difference between a Series1 XJ6 power steering (Frighteningly light at 100) to the Series 3 fitment which was just right at all speeds and purely hydraulic so the favourite mod back in the late eighties was to swap in a late rack but still use the same pump etc for early cars.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Malbaby said:

BUMP..........Does anyone know what power rack & pinion is used by Classic Driver Developments hydraulic version

In a word no, why dont you ask them direct they may or may not tell you.

Stuart.

TR4A Royal blue Volvo V70 D5 twin turbo

I've always wondered why you'd want to put a Volvo engine in a TR4A. But the engineering would be worthy of Marco :D

Edited by JohnC
5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I've always wondered why you'd want to put a Volvo engine in a TR4A. But the engineering would be worthy of Marco :D

:lol::lol::lol: I have seen a Volvo 940 engine used in a 4a though and one of the TRS cars with the Sabrina engine has Volvo internals

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Yes and no Marco....my new full restoration project will definitely be fitted with an EPAS column. 

With my existing TR4, retrofitting an EPAS column is problematic unless I can find a way to overcome the top outer column fitment without removing the dash. Hence awaiting your method of building the upper section.

The upper section is less effort but you need a lathe, or a friend with a lathe.

This is why I asked on another post "is this still a DIY project".

When I made my first EPS unit a friend suggested me to fit the Renault Clio unit not behind the dashboard 

but under the bonnet left to the engine, maybe possible on LHD TRs.

My TR is LHD but I did not follow this idea so it's somebody else job to find out.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I still like the periodish-ness and the elegance of the hydraulic PAS. But then again, it's not my money!

• 1 year later...

hi, I just thought I would add a couple of bits of info I have discovered whilst converting my 6 to rhd. Most importantly, don’t get a rack off a front wheel drive car , because the racks tend to be located behind the engine the track rods are pushing and pulling on the rear of the back plates you end up with  the steering going the wrong way like a clowns car! I ended up using a rack off a Mercedes estate car. I am going to power it with an electric power steering pump off a modern mini. There’s some electrical solenoid or small motor on the rack which may well change the assistance,I don’t know yet and probably won’t use it anyway. If any of this helps you guys I’m glad. By the way, if you look on eBay or similar sites there are many different electric pas pumps available, however if ,like me you go hunting in a breakers yard they are a lot harder to find than you might expect! The mini one was located on top of the rack, not easy to get but it was all I could find. Good luck!