Gear stick rattle

Hi Guys,

I've lived with a rattle on the gear stick for a few years so I thought I would try and sort. I've replaced the rear mountings on the gearbox and the selector shaft spring and anti rattle plunger at the base .... eventually using a plastic tie to hold plunger and spring in place.

Absolutely no difference in that under heavy acceleration the gear stick rattles a lot which is really disappointing after all the work. So assuming it's stayed in place has anyone any ideas what else I could try ... or I've missed.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

was the spring and plunger very very difficult to get in place - it should be. If not not it may not do its job.

Did you put plenty of grease under/around all the pieces of the gear stick (retainer plate etc).

Is the gearbox generally in good order. Worn gears or bushes/bearings can produce plenty of noise that feeds back to the gear stick.

Roger

Hi Roger thanks for getting back,

Yes it was an absolute pain to get the anti rattle plunger in place. In the end had to reduce the length of the spring to get the plunger in place. Took a lot of attempts with ties to hold and then a sharp blow displaced the tie. A trick mentioned on the forum a few times. Also used quite a bit of grease. When done the gear change tightened up and is very precise so I though I had done the job. The gearbox has not been replaced since I've had the car (3 years) so it may well be a worn gearbox although apart from the rattle it all works well.

Cheers,

Jim

Edited by Jim58

This may sound stupid, but does the rattle still happen if you take the gearb knob off?

I had a really annoying rattle that stopped when I removed the gear knob. Replaced it with an old one and bingo - job sorted.

Hope you get to the bottom of this as this rattle is a pain in the neck.

Roger

Thanks for the responses. Gear knob is an interesting one I'll give that a go. I'll try the advance although it's going well with the current timing. Still worth trying to see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Jim

Even though I had the box rebuilt I could still get a sizzle at times, although not so often.

Took my aftermarket big leather gearknob off and put the lighter wooden one on and it's fine.

I assume the rattle stops when you hold the gear stick? Be warned, I thought a gearbox rattle was my lay shaft so had the gearbox rebuilt. No change and have just finally discovered it was the big ends! It is surprising where noises actually come from, have you checked your UJ's too?

Pete

Thanks Peter. I've changed the ujs on the drive shafts but not prop. They seem fine but you've got me thinking now. Didn't want to take exhaust off again but I think it'll be worth it to exclude.