TR5 restoration project for sale

I have been looking for a TR5 or TR250 to restore for a while now with no luck.

I recently spotted a car at anglia car auction in king's lynn with no reserve.

I called them and they told me it is a genuine TR5...

does anybody know anything about this car they have given me the chassis number of CP2459O and engine number CP2576E so that looks about right for a TR5 but I dont know the registration number yet.

I'm not that familiar with auctions and no reserves specifically but what is the car worth realistically...

I was thinking maybe £6-£7k is that realistic

Any help much appreciatted

I will try and post the link http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic-auctions/saturday-5th-april-2014.aspx the auction is the 5th april

Edited by HPMUIRT
Editing reason

I wouldnt be interested at £15k surely it wont make that much will it.. :blink:

Jim,

Yes, it's very possible and probably very likely as TR5s and other TRs (even those requiring total restoration) are fetching very strong money at the moment.

It will be interesting to see what it does fetch - of course it doesn't mean it's worth it, but just what someone's prepared to pay.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

Jim,

I trawled the market Dec-Jan. TR Bitz has had a flurry of 5s, they sold 3 in the last month. I saw a red older restoration, a blue 1000 miles since a TR Bitz restoration both v nice.

None of them were even advertised. I left my number with several people (the obvious ones) and asked them to call me if one came along.

TR Bitz cars - both big money. Both sold (I bought the blue one). The guy in Kent had already sold his red 5 (it is still on classiccars web-site) and is looking for another as he has had several enquiries.

I didn't come across any restoration projects - which would have been utterly beyond my skills anyway. In any event I couldn't make the maths work on one if I sent it to someone else to do.

If anyone calls me to ask if I am still looking I will drop you a PM.

As for the one at auction you refer too - it looks like the classic auction spruce up for auction photo job has been done - shove in a grille, add on some bumpers - anything shiny, screw on some shiny wing mirrors etc....

When I sold my Alfa at auction it got sold before the day, someone came in and offered me the right cash number.

Maybe you should call them and see if you can do a private deal ?

Snowy

Hi Jim, snowy and the boys are obviously giving you the right advice, the TR5 market is very boyant.

I have left you a pm re this actual car,as i have looked round it previously,and may be able to give you a heads up..

Cheers,

Conrad.

its no problem ntc Conrad was just trying to help me with the car decision to travel to see the car as its a little way away from me,

I dont mind a full resto jobby as long as its a genuine TR5, which I think it is, but I think its got the wrong grille (TR4A) and its been off road an awful long time...

The chassis and engine numbers seem to match a genuine 5

Interesting to do the sums about a TR5 restoration.

In the USA last August at Pebble Beach Gooding & Co sold a LHD TR5 at auction for $US115,000.00. That is somewhere between £69,000.00 and £70,000.00 at current exchange rates!! Follow this link http://www.goodingco.com/results/realized/?cat=17 for more info. A copy of the auction report page is attached just in case the link does not work for you.

Obviously it was a very good example but is an indication of what some people will pay for cars of this ilk. Maybe this tells us that it is worth putting every effort into something like a TR5 restoration to deliver the best possible result and not be tempted by the odd shortcuts that can distract from the best outcome??

Now, your challenge is to build a better one.

Robert

post-4216-0-74796000-1393010013_thumb.jpg

post-4216-0-74796000-1393010013_thumb.jpg

Edited by KiwiTR5

Hi all.

A TR5 sold on eBay at the end of last year with a brand new MOT for £18k.

It had GRP wings and bonnet but came with a spare engine and other spares

worth a considerable sum. It was running on PI and was very presentable.

So this one ?

Rob

Hi Nick

The £30k one may well be a better deal, too. Take a 5 to any well known restorer these days

and I gather they start at £50k to restore a 5...

Rob

Hi Neil , so who is qualified then ? I am just a bloke as you know who is happy to help a fellow enthusiast, as you are.

I wasnt going give give a blow by blow description of how to restore a car, as you could and i couldnt.

All the best,

the rugby is on soon,

Conrad.

Hello mate. if you mean the one with grp wings etc,from bristol area. yes i do .

Have met him and seen the car. it looked and sounded good.

Cheers,

Conrad.

jim,

i see a new advert on car and classic for a dismantled, part restored TR5 from Germany. Asking big money at £20k but maybe another totally brave route for you to follow ? the more i read the forum the more that I cannot imagine anyone managing to reassemble a car onto the chassis and end up square with nice gaps all round. Respect to all who have succeeded.

No calls about complete cars received.

Best

Snowy