Low oil pressure

As I was installing a new dashboard, I thought that I would take the opportunity to replace dashboard bulbs, speedo, choke and oil pressure cables/pipes as a bit of preventative maintainance.

All went smoothly apart from the fact that the oil pressure guage now fluctuates between 20 and 30lbs when the engine has warmed up.

Prior to replacing the pipe, pressure was aound 65lbs. All I've done is fit the nylon pipe from Moss which is the alternative to the standard flexible and rigid pipes from the oil filter head pipe to the bulkhead, and to the oil pressure guage.

Nothing else has changed, so why have I got such low pressure?

Any ideas?

Peter

1963 TR4 ADC815A

Just a guess, but have you bled the air out of the new pipe at the gauge end?  I doubt it would give a steady reading if there were a reservoir of air.

Will

Will

Thanks very much for your advice. I have bled the new pipe and oil pressure has been restored to the correct level.

Feel a bit of a twit not doing it in the first place....

Regards

Peter

Can you give me lead about the best way to bleed the complete pipe from the engine to the gauge?

Rudi

The way I did it may not be the way recommended by the experts !

All I did was to disconnect the pipe at the back of the oil pressure guage and took the guage out of the dashboard. Pulled the loose end of the pipe into a jar and started the engine. After a few seconds, oil started coming out of the pipe.As the oil was still seeping out, I connected the pipe back to the guage.

Then cleaned it up and secured the guage back in the dashboard.

May not find this method in the workshop manual, but it worked for me!

Regards

Peter