Castle Combe track day 29 April 2014

Book now for our Castle Combe track day in the TR Register shop on the home page.

This is stunning value at just £60 / car plus £10 per additional driver / passenger. You'd normally expect to pay at least twice this amount for Castle Combe.

Full details are in TR Action pages 56 / 57.

We hope to see you there

Take care Kev

The order form defaults to +1 passenger making the cost £70. It is not possible to select zero.

Believe this to be an error on the web page and have notified the office.

Jerry

I just wanted to say that in this first week we've had 11 cars booked in.

We need just under 50 cars to break even so we're about 20% there at the moment.

Please book soon if you're thinking about coming along, it'll help me sleep.

And don't forget to rope in your mates or even get your TR group to come along en masse.

Take care and book soon. Kev

Matthew, Ian

The key requirement is maximum fun, as safely as possible. This means:

1 Wearing a helmet. Full face for an open car and either full face or open for a saloon car. Castle Combe will lend you one at no extra charge if you haven't got one.

2 No exposed flesh. So no t-shirts and shorts. This applies to both open and salon cars. It makes sense to bring along gloves as well. The no bare flesh rule applies to any passengers as well as drivers

3 Car. You are responsible for ensuring your car is fit for purpose. A scrutineer will check over your car, this is often simply a visual check. Typically this takes between two and five minutes. It is not an MOT or confirmation that there is nothing wrong with your car. The scrutineer will however stop you from taking your car onto their track if they think something is wrong

4 Fire extinguishers and spill kits are not required, but clearly it makes sense to bring them along if you have them

5 Roll cages, roll bars or hard tops. Not mandatory BUT I wouldn't take my car onto the track without my roll bar. Just think about it, you're on or over the limit, you misjudge the corner, your car slips off the black stuff onto the grass, digs in and flips over. I've never seen a car flip over and never want to. But motorsport is dangerous and accidents can, and do, happen. Maximum fun as safely as possible means fitting a roll bar in my mind. Safer on the road as well.

Two other things.

First, noise. All cars will have to pass their static noise test of less than 100 dba at 0.5 metres at 75% of maximum revs. What does this mean? A slightly noisy road car should be OK. A V8 that turns heads won't be. The noise people at Castle Combe and the onsite team at Merlin Motorsports are skilled in helping drivers get through the noise test but if you are worried it makes sense to get your car checked out locally before you arrive.

Second, if you are interested the scruntineers have agreed to talk you through what, if anything, you'd need to do to your car for a typical sprint or hillclimb.

So don't be worried. Book now and sort the car. You will leave the circuit grinning from ear to ear having made many new friends and had a great time.

Book now Kev

Well put, Kevin.

TRs can and do flip, roll over. Not often, but anyone witnessing a roll will remember it for the rest of their days. Think John Welburn at Goodwood. They will also insist on a roll bar before even thinking about going on track. No ifs, no buts, end of.

One additional priority, and no doubt Mick Richards will be hot on my heels with this one . . . .

Firewall.

That's an alloy sheet between the rear trim panel of the cockpit and the fuel tank. The intention being to contain fuel in the boot, rather than allowing it to flood through into the driving compartment in the event of a prang. So the alloy firewall has to be very firmly secured, and seal all the way round. It has to stay sealed when everything around it is folding. As a bonus by product, it will stiffen the car slightly and reduce rattles noticeably.

Revington TR do a firewall for about sixty quid, it's an appropriately shaped sheet of alloy which will take several hours to make fit. Or make your own templates from card and then make your own firewall from sheet alloy, which costs less but takes longer. Every TR is slightly different, one size can not and does not fit all.

However you do it, it will take serious time and effort, but it's arguably the most valuable modification you will ever make to your car.

If you've ever witnessed a driver burning to death, and listened to the screams that you will never forget and that will never ever leave you, there's no 'arguably' about it. It's mandatory.

If you are going on track you need flame retardant overalls as a minimum, as well as your helmet. Matching nomex long underwear, socks and gloves.

You need a proper rollover bar. And a firewall. And belts. And a fire extinguisher solidly mounted within reach, 1kg minimum and preferably 2kgs.

Anything less and you are, quite simply, a complete bloody fool and a liability to your family and friends. The human gene pool would be better off without you. No question.

As for anyone organising an on-track event without insisting on these basic precautions ? I would have no qualms about termination with extreme prejudice. Pour encourager les autres.

We learned all this stuff back in the late 70s. Courtesy of some very close calls, despite the efforts we made to go way beyond the necessary minimum. That was the TR Goodwood ethos. Why is it necessary to re-invent the wheel ? Motor sport is dangerous, the average TR pilot is not the sharpest tool in the box, at least not when it comes to self preservation.

It's simple enough - prepare yourself and your car properly, or don't get involved. Motor sport is dangerous, and it doesn't need dickheads.

Cheers

Alec

All very sensible comments.

I have available for sale my old but perfect condition race suit. It is no longer usable for circuit racing due to changes in regulations. It is the 1986 standard.

It is a very good suit. A Sparco Sprint V. If not called that, it's something similar.

It would sill be in use were it not for the regulation changes for circuit racing. It is however still 'legal' for sprints and hill climbs. However, I leave it to you to research that if needs be.

The suit is in superb condition, no oily marks, tears, nicks or anything else nasty.

It is a size 58 which I'm sure will mean nothing to most people. It fits me and I'm a normal build 13 stone or so 6ft tall bloke. It is grey and white.

Basically, a great suit if you want something to help you should you be caught in a car on fire. It may give you the extra time you need to get out before your flesh burns.

Anyway, happy to send photo to anyone interested.

Price is £100 which is a bargain for what this suit is and what it cost when new. It's not a cheap one.

Collection from me in Warwickshire or Birmingham, or I will post but I'm not too sure what that'll cost.

David

Edited by david ferry

When you've polished your dream machine and you stand back from it and can't wait for the practice day to arrive, remember

1) Kevins thoughts on a Roll over bar, works just as well on public roads and stiffens the car and makes it nicer to drive.

2) Alecs additional contribution about a Firewall behind the 3mm piece of fibreboard at the rear of the cockpit to keep burning fuel away from you and your loved ones, nobody can see it in place and it will increase your safety during the practice day and whenever you drive the car on public roads.

3) Davids very reasonably priced quality driving suit, it will give you that 30 secs grace to allow the marshalls a chance to douse your burning car and cut your harnesses and pull you from the wreck of your car.

The addition of all these devices will allow you to reflect ruefully upon the damage caused to pride and joy, because they will have saved your life, and that is worth far more to you and your families.

Mick Richards

When you've polished your dream machine and you stand back from it and can't wait for the practice day to arrive, remember

1) Kevins thoughts on a Roll over bar, works just as well on public roads and stiffens the car and makes it nicer to drive.

2) Alecs additional contribution about a Firewall behind the 3mm piece of fibreboard at the rear of the cockpit to keep burning fuel away from you and your loved ones, nobody can see it in place and it will increase your safety during the practice day and whenever you drive the car on public roads.

3) Davids very reasonably priced quality driving suit, it will give you that 30 secs grace to allow the marshalls a chance to douse your burning car and cut your harnesses and pull you from the wreck of your car.

The addition of all these devices will allow you to reflect ruefully upon the damage caused to pride and joy, because they will have saved your life, and that is worth far more to you and your families.

Mick Richards

Hi All

Can we keep this in perspective it is a Trackday not a full out timed practice session. We are all there for a bit of fun - yes accidents do happen and I personally would not go on any track without a rollover bar and the fuel tank firewall.

I have known Alec for an awful long time and respect his views but I disagree about the fire resistant suit underwear etc.

We are trying to give the drivers a taster not make them spend £500 on something they may not use again.

I for one will not be wearing my Nomex overalls.

In the 25 years I have been doing Sprints and Hillclimbs I have only ever seen one fire in the paddock with noone in the car.

Yes I have seen a fire close to in my garage very scary but fireproof overalls would not have helped

Regards

John

John,

I don't believe we are trying to put people off or scaremonger about the dangers that exist, and it is precisely because "it is a bit of fun" that it can be dangerous.

When competitors are taking it seriously and adopting all possible safety measures that's when you can quantify the risk, when people are "driving fast" but not competitively and the unforeseen happens that is when everybody wishes that safety had been considered to it's maximum.

I consider how I used to prepare myself when experiencing my introduction to Motorsport via sprinting and " big bucks " were not to be spent on it's preparation. After the car modifications as itemised, for the driver natural material soft shoes ie leather, cotton underwear top and bottom and cotton overalls washed in a flame preventative mixture ( can't remember what that was)...oh and I removed my watch. It didn't frighten me having considered the risk but I did everything I could to minimise it.

Anybody considering taking part in a fast driving event track day/sprint or other needs to think about it, if you do it heightens the sensations !

Mick Richards

Agree cotton undies a must ! Use natural fibres and FR Mixture just google it - as I thought Borax same as you use for ants !

I have got an almost new race suit if anyone wants it . Too small for me these days !

Must admit I had forgotten the remove watch and jewellery . Only got to get it wrong using the oven they get really hot.

Heavens above, I'm not suggesting spending £500 on racewear for a track day, perish the thought.

There are current competitors with appropriate suits, doubtless a few will be attending, why can't they lend their outfit to a novice ? That's how we used to do it back in the Goodwood days.

There are plenty of used outfits for sale, and given that racewear is dated and 'lifed' for competition use, it is usually possible to pick up a decent outdated used suit and even underwear for notalot on ebay - and you could always buy a used suit for £50 or whatever and share it with a couple of mates.

The other budget route, flame retardant overalls of the workshop variety, which can be purchased for £30-50. Not as good as nomex for sure, a huge amount better than nothing, and also ideal for welding or any jobs involving heat/flame in the garage.

Underwear and socks, not expensive in flame retardant, and a set of 'longs' will also double up for tramping over the fells in winter on a weekend when you need to keep warm. Otherwise, make sure your vest knickers and socks are not artificial fibre such as nylon - pure cotton, or even better wool.

Cheers

Alec

Very tempted, but as 'olde smokey' has no suspension mods, flimsy 48 spokers and no roll cage (and only 4 out of 6 windscreen screws), maybe I'll be limited to a parade lap or two.

However, having raced around CC in Formula Ford and tested / trained there in Caterhams, I am very happy to offer to sit with members doing laps to advise on line, and basics on braking and power (must remember that the braking point on a 3A is probably more than just a bit before that for a FF !)

I'm glad I never had all this before my first ever track day or I'd probably never would have had a go.

The relevant post for first-timers is Kevin's of 27th Feb @ 10:42.

Ignore the rest and have a go.

That's not to denegrate all the other advice, I too have roll protection, fire extinguisher & firewall - but you don't have to have it, that's the point of a track day. :D

Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...

Borax? that's a new one on me. The fire retardant overalls we have used for many years were dipped in a solution called PROBAN.

Washing the overalls obviously reduces the flame proofing effect but they can and should be re proofed from time to time.

Track days are great fun but are not without risk as both Alec and Mick have pointed out. After the first few tentative laps I have no doubt that the 'red mist' will descend and it is guaranteed to overcome any natural ability you may have at car control. If you are lucky you will merely spin and suffer the embarrassment of facing the wrong way. If you are not so lucky you will probably hit something hard and damage not only your car but the pink fleshy thing that covers your skeleton.

so go easy on the corners chaps and don't let a heavy right foot get the better of you.

hogie.

Come on Hogie,

you ought to know better than to argue with Diane by now. 35 years on, we're getting too old to live dangerously.

Borax is one of the alternative constituents (with boric acid) with which cotton fabrics can be treated to produce a semi-durable flame retardancy. There are several standard processes patented, Proban is one of them, Pyrovatex another, and both a tad more durable than borax based solutions.

Red Mist ? Don't you need to be called Nigel to get that in full measure ?

Cheers

Alec

Excellent.

We're over half way there now. I hope I don't have to decline TR Register members intending to book late. I picked up interest from a couple of competitors from the North Yorks Classic Rally at the weekend.

Take care, and please book now. Don't leave it until the last minute.

Kev

Two thirds of the way there now in terms of numbers with just over 4 weeks to go.

Please don't leave it to the last minute to book, you may be disappointed.

Looking forward to it.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

A fine day out. Enjoyed walking round the circuit twice to see the cars from all angles. Some excellent driving was seen !!

Just amazed how few people ca't have read the above advice on clothing. Far too many fleeces and nylon anoraks being worn for their laps. You were wearing woven oil products that melt easily !! It may only be seconds but they matter.

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.