In the old scale, distance static laden from centre of the front spring eye to centre of centrebolt was 18.63" (473.20 mm) plus or minus .063" (1.6 mm). The cerntrebolt locates the axle via the U Bolt bottom plate.

Interesting when taking a quick measure under my car, that distance looks to be only 450mm.

So a 23 mm difference somewhere which roughly equates to your problem, but I haven't figured out what's wrong.

Viv

If you purchased the car partially restored it could have the wrong rear springs meaning the mounting pin for the diff is in the wrong place, or even the springs mounted backwards which would be hard as the larger spring eye goes to the front.

Cheers

Alan

Mike

When I put my prop shaft in after the chassis build up, I found the shaft was absolutely fully extended to bolt up to the O/D., so I turned up a 10mm thick spacer and put it in between them and after 5 years I have had no trouble at all.

BTW. the rear wheels are exactly in the middle of the rear wheelarches as they should be, so i know the axle is in it´s correct place.

Dave

I think you would have noticed if it was when you fitted the gearbox mounting - did you have to struggle to get the bolts into the chassis?

If not, then the gearbox is in the right place.

Bob.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I have a number of spare propshafts if you can't solve your problem.

Bob,

Can I take you up on this offer for a spare shaft, mine is definately too short by at least an inch. I am in York so could call if convenient. What do you want for one? How do I contact you best, e mail or phone?

Cheers

Mike