TR2 Door Pulls / Door Cords / Door Release

I'm looking for info on what the "proper" door pull / door release looked like and was made from.

Mine, which were chains and I don't think as original anyway, seem to have gone missing during a re-build. I've checked with suppliers and the items involved seem to be out of stock.

I think (and therefore may be wrong) they were wires with a plastic type sheath over them...

As they are out of stock I'm going to have a go at making some myself, so any photos or descriptions etc. would be good to help me on my way.

I've attached a photo of mine before they disappeared. I still have ONE ONLY of the sleeves that covered the chain... strangely.

Alternatively, if someone has a set of originals, I could be interested...

post-1616-0-38421500-1392317568_thumb.jpg

post-1616-0-38421500-1392317568_thumb.jpg

Here are the original door pulls on TS2797LO, an unrestored long door TR2. If you click on the photo it will take you to a VERY big original-sized version.

i-thtV5fw.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Here are the original door pulls on TS2797LO, an unrestored long door TR2. If you click on the photo it will take you to a VERY big original-sized version.

i-thtV5fw.jpg

Thank you Don. That gives me a good idea of what I am aiming to achieve. As I suspected very different to what I had....

Yes, Mark Macy does a nice job on his parts. I can recommend his shop. IIRC one of our frequent correspondents has one of Mark's Offenhauser valve covers. His glovebox panels are sold by all the majors, I think. He's just introducing a TR2-4 updated cooling fan that mounts as original.

I stopped by their shop last week. (I have a house nearby and they have my car now for some work.). There's always some interesting stuff to be seen. TS1 is still there, but it's in the paint shop and I didn't get to check it out this trip.

You can make a perfectly respectable door pull as follows:

cut a length of ¼" braided rope to follow to desired path between lock, & top fixing

crimp onto the ends some electrical ring terminals with approx 3/16" holes.

slide over a suitable length of suitably sized heatshrink sleeving colour optional.

secure the ends on the door catch stud, & tunder the chrome cover at the top.

Easy !

Yup, they have the parts, reasonably priced BUT want 125 dollars postage to the UK! A pity as I liked the look of their "Hurricane Fan" as well.

Edited by clive

You can make a perfectly respectable door pull as follows:

cut a length of ¼" braided rope to follow to desired path between lock, & top fixing

crimp onto the ends some electrical ring terminals with approx 3/16" holes.

slide over a suitable length of suitably sized heatshrink sleeving colour optional.

secure the ends on the door catch stud, & tunder the chrome cover at the top.

Easy !

attachicon.gifDoor pull.JPG

Yup,good idea on the electrical connections bit!. That's wprth trying.

It's the chrome cover at the top I don't have at the moment.

Also, having looked at the american supplier suggested above their cord is a piece of leather thong, quite a large diameter. The fixing at the ends is provided by sa triangular piece of bent round metal that would be at home on a sink waste / plug. As you may have seen by another post I'm currently doing a leatherwork course, so I could actually probibly do something along those lines... Again, less the chrome cover piece but I'm sure that's not unresolvable ..

Yup, they have the parts, reasonably priced BUT want 125 dollars postage to the UK! A pity as I liked the look of their "Hurricane Fan" as well.

Perhaps you could ask a US based forum member to collect have 'm send to his US address and have it shipped to your address in the UK.

Secondly: overhere in Holland, there's a website called USA2YOU.nl: they help Dutch buyers in the in the US and reship the items to Holland. I'm sure there's a British equivalent of that somewhere!

Menno

EDIT: something like this: https://www.borderlinx.com

Edited by Menno van Rij 2

A very interesting trading area. I recently saw a program about this firms. The one concerned was set up by elderly people in Florida, where else do you find sooo many of them :).

They remove the goods from the original boxes, repack them and dispatch them all over the world as " PRESENTS "

It's a more or less "GREY " trade area not totally legal with concern to fiscal import rules.

But the same is done by firms in Hong Kong trading via Austria through Ebay and sending small parcels from Hongkong as presents to escape bureaucracy and import fees :blink:;)

Looking closely at the "original TR2" pull cord at top of thread, the leather is wrapped around an inner cord of some sort.

Also, is it me, or does the leather one above look far too long ??

Bob.

Looking closely at the "original TR2" pull cord at top of thread, the leather is wrapped around an inner cord of some sort.

Also, is it me, or does the leather one above look far too long ??

Bob.

Yes i think so..

The original brochure shows the short version

http://storm.oldcarmanualproject.com/triumphtr21953.htm

The cord underneath appears to be a quite thick leather thong material, the cover over it will match the trim of the car so either leather or vynide I guess... I'm going to see if I can get the thick thong from a very good leather supplier local to me where I get my hide and other accessories for my leatherwork. The triangular (bathroom waste chain type) fastenings at the end are readily available I believe. That leaves the end covers as an issue. Why on earth are suppliers in the UK not offering these, they could almost be made to order!

I had wondered about getting someone in the states to order them for me and ship them to me...

For what it's worth, if the cords are a leather thong, on the un-restored version, I reckon they may very well have stretched quite a bit...

Edited by clive

Just got mine from my trimmer, they look totally original and were made from a pattern off the originals from my car. Stitched in leather to match trim panels.

They are in deed shorter than those in the picture, I got the kit from Macy's but other than the escutcheons they should be easier enough to replicate.

Rod

I got my pulls from Macys via TRF with other stuff, they turn out to be leather sewing machine drive belting, still available in UK, the ends are modded belt joiners, this is probably what ST used, as their trim shops would all be making their own sewing machine drive belts, like we did before we used (guarded) fan belt type belts on our sewing machines.

The end cappings are nicely made.

John W

Cheers for that bit of info John.

Just done a temporary "bodge" to get some door pulls in place. Had some multi core alarm cable lying around. Cut two lengths approx. double the length I needed. Wrapped some brown electrical tape around it where the loop would be formed at each end, then basically wrapped the same stuff around the hole lot to form a the pull. Slotted that through the covers and put it on each door.

Works, and looks "ok" for now.

$125 does seem a bit nuts for postage on these items; I ought them from Macy's also and they re lightweight to ship. I'd figure $25-$35 more or less to the UK. He might have been using UPS rather than the postal service or might have selected expedited shipping. Shipping has become rather expensive in recent years; often the cost of postage exceeds the value of the item. The quality of Macy's kit is pretty good; worth the price if you don't have all of the bits. make sure the leather seam faces out toward the panel, not down like you se in so many restored cars.

Will do! Mark Macy said that he could only set one cost for rest of world, so set it high so people would ask. It worked out about $40 for shipping... so not bad to get what should be there from there to here... so to speak...