Photobucket ~ Is It Worth It?

Worth what? Troube? Just a matter of practicing. Time? You decide. Money ? It's FOC. The main advantage is that you save disc space on this Forum server which will soon beg for mercy and it frees up disc space on your computer. Photobucket (like dozens of applications of the same type i.e. Flikr, Picasa,..) offers substantial storage space in the digital outer space ("the cloud") as well as the possibility to organize, cut, crop, resize, etc. your pics and movies as well as accessing them from anywhere you are in the world provided that you have access to an internet connection. The thing with this kind of e-facility is that when you know it is available you'll start finding all kinds of applications you never thought of before and more of often than not you find yourself sorry not to have it. But this is another story that relates to our ability to deal with false needs and addictions... The moment you feel the urge to give money for this kind of service then you know you are on the wrong track. Then go for a stroll, look at the trees and listen at the singing birds ( and take some pics you can share w your friends)

Edited by Geko

Tom, it took two seconds for the successful experiment we ran earlier today. When we figure out what's hanging you up I think you'll find it worth using a hosting service.

I'm a big fan of my paid service with SmugMug. I have many thousands of full size images backed up there, available anywhere I have a 'net connection. If my two other portable hard disk archives are lost I still have my lifetime of photography safe and sound.

Did you mention what browser and version you're using yet?

I used photobucket to place the images in my signature area - I had to, there is no other way. but for posts, I find direct from PC is much quicker, & if you get near your limit of image storage on the web site, then you can just delete the images which are no longer relavant - ie. old threads which have stopped being updated.

Bob.

I used photobucket to place the images in my signature area - I had to, there is no other way. but for posts, I find direct from PC is much quicker, & if you get near your limit of image storage on the web site, then you can just delete the images which are no longer relavant - ie. old threads which have stopped being updated.

Bob.

The problem with deleting old images is when someone does a search on here for information (and a lot of people do that who dont normally frequent this site) then if the relevant image has been deleted then that information which can be valuable to get someone out of trouble is lost.Dont forget that the main purpose of the club is to preserve the marque.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

The problem with deleting old images is when someone does a search on here for information (and a lot of people do that who dont normally frequent this site) then if the relevant image has been deleted then that information which can be valuable to get someone out of trouble is lost.Dont forget that the main purpose of the club is to preserve the marque.

Stuart.

^^^ This!

...^^^That - is also true of a picture hosted anywhere :lol:

True enough... but when my SmugMug account is closed it'll be because I've left the planet. After then you're all on your own, but until then, every link I've created in the last five or six years is still active. I'm not forced to chose what links survive.

Stuart's main point that the Forum is becoming a new part of the Register Archives seems lost on many. For all the value (?) we put on some sort of paper archive that most of us have never seen, never use, and don't understand what it contains, the Forum is a living, growing archive of the combined wisdom of the TR Register available to all. Dumping info because it hasn't been updated seems shortsighted. It may be referred to often, and it may be the key piece of information that helps someone not yet here become a member and preserve the marque.

Many folks have requested the Register to increase hosting space. Space isn't that expensive -- my SmugMug account gives me unlimited full-size storage for $35/year. A pro account, one we could possibly all upload to, might be a couple of hundred bucks a year. Were there a will, there would certainly be a way. I frankly don't trust our leadership to do that -- we think too small and are too afraid of change. So I'm happy to host my own photos.

I'm right with you Don. Other forums don't seem to cap image uploads. Barryboys, love it or hate it, is one that excels in its picture database which is not for the faint hearted.

" .Dont forget that the main purpose of the club is to preserve the marque. "

I don't think so Stuart, that was the founding raison d'etre for sure . . . . . but that's a long time ago.

For more than a few years " For all TR enthusiasts past, present and future " has prevailed.

The original motto meant something concrete, an ideal to which to aspire.

The subsequent mission statement is meaningless drivel, but that is I suppose pretty typical of TR Register management of the 21st century, and therefore appropriate.

Any kind of file hosting system that preserved the pictorial record of the past 14 years would have been too much like joined-up thinking.

We've had more than 40 years to achieve something by way of accessibility of archives, and there still isn't much of an alternative to driving to Didcot.

Cheers

Alec

If one searches the TR Register site for any reference to "preserve the marque TR" or variations on that theme, the only hits are on the forum. We are apparently the only ones for whom that is a core value.

Pity -- I think it's the best reason for the TR Register to exist.

https://www.google.com/search?num=50&q=%22preserve+the+marque%22+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.tr-register.co.uk%2F&oq=%22preserve+the+marque%22+site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.tr-register.co.uk%2F&gs_l=serp.12...10680.15324.0.17362.13.13.0.0.0.1.125.776.12j1.13.0....0...1c.1.35.serp..13.0.0.sp75B4htOVE

Edited by Don H.