TR2 / TR3 /TR3a Custom Suitcase - Information Wanted.

Well folks, I know I've been quiet since getting all the information... Well, I've also been busy. I've made the first of a two case set for my TR from leather. it's based on the information I've been given, but is in no way the same as the originals, though it does of course follow similar lines. I can't seem to post photos directly here, so I've added quite a few to pinterest, and hopefully the link here will work.

I've posted quite a bit about the case on a few facebook forums as I've gone so some of you may already have seen it there.

The case has been designed so that very little except the raw materials have been bought in. Even the handles etc. have been made from scratch! The only bought in items are really the case locks themselves.

What do you think?

Here is the link: http://gb.pinterest.com/cliveelsdon/tr2-tr3-fitted-luggage-set-project/

:wub: I love the end result!

Menno

Thank you Menno. Much appreciated. If you're on facebook you can look at leatherwork by my wife and I at http://www.facebook.com/evancliffeleather (hopefully, again, that link works) and we have a website planned for the near future...

Also on a triumph theme... Take a look at this photo: https://www.facebook.com/evancliffeleather/photos/pcb.145925845607357/145925752274033/?type=1&theater

Edited by clive

At the risk of asking a dumb question, how on earth can one claim " the new case design is copyright Clive Elsdon / Evancliffe Leather " when it would appear to be nothing more than a minor rework of a 60 year old product ?

Hard to see how it could qualify even for registered design status, let alone copyright ?

Cheers

Alec

At the risk of asking a dumb question, how on earth can one claim " the new case design is copyright Clive Elsdon / Evancliffe Leather " when it would appear to be nothing more than a minor rework of a 60 year old product ?

Hard to see how it could qualify even for registered design status, let alone copyright ?

Cheers

Alec

Alec,

Registered design you have to apply for, copyright is automatic. Copyright is therefore much easier than registered design, patents etc. I would not be trying to get a registered design or patent on something which is basically a suitcase.

Whilst the case may be similar to the original there are significant differences including shape, size and materials. On their own, none of them will be unique, there is nothing new under the sun as the saying goes. However, together they form a unique object which I do not necessarily want others to copy and which I have correctly stated, is my own automatic copyright. In actual fact, if they have the skill and stamina for producing a handmade item like this... then they can go for it. I'd even most likely help them!

It would have been nice if you'd sugared your comment with some praise on the quality of the many hours of work I've put in to create the case, given that I only started the course in leatherwork about 15 weeks ago, and it's a one day a week course. I guess I am assuming you can see any quality or hard work in the final product, beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that...

I've just recalled why I stopped posting anything on here all those years ago!

It's a good looking piece of kit Clive, does you credit, and it would doubtless look at home in a Daimler or Jensen. In a TR it seems too much like over egging the pudding for my taste, inappropriate for a budget mass production sports car. Gucci accessories don't turn an old slapper into a lady.

That apart, copyright I've always thought of as relating to original works of art, and I can't see how a TR suitcase fits into any of the copyright categories . . . .

In any case, when one has been sharing ideas on a forum and benefiting from the input of fellow enthusiasts, the idea of claiming personal copyright on the finished prototype seems a little off colour. Just my view, of course.

Cheers

Alec

My understanding of copyright law aligns with Clive's, it's automatic in the same vein as if you wanted to claim copyright on a literary piece in the past, you mailed it to yourself recorded delivery.

Rgds Ian

Alec

I would like to correct you.

Its not just your view it is mine as well.

Clive

Good work well done

Regards

Rog

Alec

I would like to correct you.

Its not just your view it is mine as well.

Clive

Mine too.

Clive,

I don't think, on the face of it, the quality of your work is in question. However, gathering views, help and opinion on this forum and Facebook and then talking about 'copyrighting' is a bit rich!

Good luck with the future and put the past behind you or it may come back and bite you.

Cheers

Andrew

(Chilling out in Sardinia)

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but one of these wonderful original fitted suitcases has come into my possession....

Its as the picture further up the thread..

Thought best to ask here before it goes on Ebay

Tom

Have been asked for pictures so please see below........ More to upload when Photobucket decides to work again......

IMG_8637.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8639.jpg

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

Cheers,

Tom

Nice looking piece of kit, and in decent condition, that should fetch a pretty penny or three . . . . . all that's need to complete the set is a matching Brexton picnic case to go on the back seat ! Interesting to see a blue version, these cases seem to have been made to match most TR trim of the 50s, even the rare 'metric' TR2 pattern.

For those who are unfamiliar with these things, Brexton were originally Brookes & Sexton - well known makers of luggage trunks, suitcases, picnic sets and suchlike through the 1920s and 30s. Eventually Brexton (the post-war brand name) became part of Harris & Sheldon, and latterly included in the Desmo range . . . . . Desmo being another of Harris & Sheldon's brands.

Tom's photos do illustrate what large cases these really were, and heavy when filled - not the easiest or most convenient items to get in and out of a TR boot. For sure there wasn't a lot of boot space left for tools, spares or sundries . . . . . which does rather limit the practicality.

Cheers

Alec

Edited by Alec Pringle

Bugger - missed this.

Never mind there'll be another along in about 30 years if I'm lucky.

Well done Edwin!

Rog

Thanks, had the same thought, this is an opportunity to fetch one, when will another one pop up ?

Like i said before in this thread some time ago, its not a practical suitcase when doing trips and holidays, but i will use it during short trips and " daily" use. Like the nice original aeroscreen and the tr2 jack i found , there just details to complete the whole car.

so very pleased with it!

now looking for a way to bring it to the netherlands...

is there anyone doing the 10 Countries Run from the other club ??

.........now looking for a way to bring it to the netherlands...

is there anyone doing the 10 Countries Run from the other club ??

Well we are doing the 10 CR Edwin

but I fear there will not be room for extra luggage! You want one of those 2.5l PI estate boys from "the Other Club" with a rear luggage compartment the size of an entire TR3!! :P