Steel whels on short studs

Hi all,

One of the TCF mad tweakers came up with a way to bolt steel wheels on the sawed off studs associated with wire wheels. I join the pix.

Can you please give your opinion about engineering soundness and safety?

Badfrog

post-975-0-12238800-1392032365_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-76100600-1392032442_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-88412700-1392032492_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-12238800-1392032365_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-76100600-1392032442_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-88412700-1392032492_thumb.jpg

I can see the logic, The standard nut has a unthreaded portion at the thin end, by turning off an ammount equal to the unthreaded portion, while retaining the correct seating angle you have not lost any strength, it's then down to whether the short stud comes all the way through the modified nut, if it does, then all will be well.

Bob.

Does anyone know what material specification was used for the original nuts.

If I were doing this I would make new nuts and select the grade of material.

Basically I would not use ordinary mild steel I'd want a grade for "machine parts".

The redesign is basically OK but there is a risk of cracks starting at the machined corner.

Wants a radius here.

I think I am right in saying that the rounded nuts for the wire wheel splines

are high tensile, the standard wheel nuts are not.

I don't have the respective torque settings to hand - anyone?

In theory, then (and I dont pretend to be an expert or even an engineer!)

it woul;d seem to be OK to use the wire wheel rounded nuts (or equivalent

HT nuts) to bolt a steel wheel to the shortened studs.

This ignores any possible complication through seating angle - I don't know

about that aspect.

Informed/expert comments welcomed.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi JF,

if the new nut has the same thread grip as the old then that would be one hurdle out of the way.

Tapering the nut so that it can reach into the usually inaccessible depth of the wheel stud hole may give more thread grip but!!!.

it is possible that the nut now does not have enough circumferential strength, in the machined area, to hold it and may start to spread if the threads above are under too much stress.

The use of a HT steel would seriously help here.

Otherwise a neat solution.

It would have been handy if bolts rather than nuts were employed in the begining and have the hub threaded - as per many modern cars.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Personally I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole. Triumph originally changed the size of the nuts on the very early cars from a similar size to those made up ones and went to the larger ones used currently as they were finding that the rims would pull over the nuts. We experienced the same problem when racing Jaguars years ago and changed to a larger nut.

Stuart.

The very short nuts designed to hold the adaptor for the wire wheel are clamping a thick and completely solid piece of steel, in which there are chamfers at the 4 places where the nuts fit.

Contrast this with the pressed steel wheel, which has a raised portion around each hole. In clamping with the larger nut, this raised portion will deform slightly (this is intentional), but it is important that this nut has a larger number of turns in order that it may lock in position when the correct torque is applied. In addition, as mentioned, these nuts have wider shoulders to prevent 'pull through'.

One would probably get away with using the shorter nut (albeit slightly modified as described above) on steel wheels on a road car which isn’t being stressed too much, but if motoring rapidly it could prove disastrous.

Ian Cornish

Bonjour Jean Francois.

In 2006 I had the same idea! From that moment on, and 12000 mls further, no problems whatsoever...

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

Interesting. Can you elaborate on what you did exactly?

Badfrog

With a 7/16" diameter stud and a 17/32" hole in the wheel one could tap the hub 1/2"UNF and insert a modern wheel bolt.

If the hub flange looks iffy then a nut could be welded in place.

Something like this could be used easily with solid or wire wheels and be very safe.

However it would then be very special and one may have trouble getting a wheel with 1/2" stud holes.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Raymond,

Basically you have reduced the height by apprx 3mm which = apprx 2 threads.

The shape remains the same so the load on the wheel concave location remains the same.

Most industrial components have a significant safety margin - aircraft are the meanest at 1.5 times the UTS. I think cranes have a safety margin of 10:1 (PF would know the correct value)

Your nut has been reduced by apprx 17%. So if it had a safety margin of 2 then with the 17% removed it would still be in the high 1+ x UTS

When you do the nut up can you get more than 8 full turns on it. If so then I would be happy.

Roger

Ah, but if you look at the photo of original nut, the first couple of mm's have no thread anyway - presumably to aid fitting the nut to the stud.

So that reduces the difference in no of threads between original , & modified nut. My worry would be if the stud still does not penetrate all the way through the nut, which the above photo suggests it doesn't

Bob.

Edited by Lebro