Dipping rear view mirror

Hi. My first question on the forum.

Having got used to (on all modern cars i.e. anything later than say 1975 ?) having an internal rear view mirror which one can flip down to reduce dazzle from headlamps on following vehicles. I now find, when driving the TR at night, I am having to move the mirror down to avoid dazzle - but then cannont see anything rearwards. Has anyone come up with a solution to this while maintaining the right look for the mirror.

Obviously one could fit a "modern" mirror but most would look quite wrong.

Bob.

There's an original Lucas dipping mirror, correct for the sidescreen period. They show up from time-to-time, but they are definitely not common. Triumph may have used them on team rally cars -- someone here willl know.

Here's one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-584-REAR-VIEW-DIPPING-MIRROR-Aston-Martin-Mini-Jaguar-MGA-/191061756253?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c7c2b095d

Curious if this will fit, the original one has an angle Same as the window.

My tr2 had something like this but american version which was bolted to the capping in stead of the plate with the rubber mount

Edwin I think you may find that that one may well be too close to the screen if mounted on the original captives.

Another idea I have seen used is similar to early E Type with a chrome bar from the original mount up to a hard top bracket on the top of the screen frame and a mirror clamped to that, it also gives more height for the mirror. The early E Type ones were also dipping.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Stuart, there were several variations on that basic mirror type back in the day, yes? Typical of Lucas, where SKU rationization wasn't a corporate goal.

ISTR a version sometimes used on Triumphs may have had a different pedestal -- something more like an adjustable column rather than a simple die casting? If my memory's not wrong, that version was sure to have a separate part number. There are plenty of folks who will know for sure, your good self included.

Hi Guys,

Something similar as Stuart mentioned is my own interpretation. Situation as shown is a trial version, meanwhile improved and works fine for me.

Regards - Raymond

P.S.

Works fine as well for a proper view, with a suitcase on top of your luggage grid.

Edited by sidescreen

Thats it Raymond. The only difference is if you can get the E Type mirror it has a smaller fixing to the bar. As you say very useful if you have luggage/ spare wheel on the boot rack.

Stuart.

Thanks Raymond, but I was hoping for something a little more descrete !

Edwin - The Lucas one on ebay looks like it should do the job - It's also possible that one can swap the pedestal over from original TR.

Have put it in my "Watch" list, & will look for others.

Bob.

Here's the Standard-Triumph dipping mirror from the September 1956 Accessories Catalog. Part number 553663. This is the one with the adjustable column sometimes found on cars in years past. It does indeed seem to mount at the top -- I'd forgotten that part.

i-hD42McW-X2.jpg

i-CBrSB5R-X2.jpg

Edited by Don H.

Thanks Raymond, but I was hoping for something a little more descrete !

Last night's trip back round the M25 from Hersham to Pinner in the '3A had all the same problems you have encountered.

I concluded - Rearward facing laser pens mounted in elastic frames so the jiggle about and 'distract' the following driver just like their headlamps do to me...... and when it comes to it what about forward facing ones for the muppet cyclists who think shining ultra bright LED beams in the eyes of motorists will help them notice all cyclists, especially those with no lights at all. As a cyclist I preferred to look like a meek demented Christmas Tree at night.

Rant Over

PS I have a tatty Lucas dipping mirror as pictured in the ads in this thread. I have yet to smarten it up and mount it on a sidescreen TR mirror stem. Any one got a small pot of Hammerite Gold paint? I would think the paint and the rechrome will cost more than the mirror is worth. - Maybe black all over then.

Edwin - The Lucas one on ebay looks like it should do the job - It's also possible that one can swap the pedestal over from original TR.

Have put it in my "Watch" list, & will look for others.

Bob.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks Guys.. I am watching several on ebay at the moment, I have already won (for 99p) an XJS mirror - a bit plasticy, but a good start.

There is a Lucas on - rather tatty ending tonight at 7:30 ish currently £4.99 will bid for that, the one mentioned earlier is now up to £27, so may let that go - depends on tonight bidding ! I'm sure the TR stem can be fitted - somehow !

Bob.

Hi all been awhile and it's good to see such enthusiasts again! The mirror one on eBbay is the type typically fitted by folks today - it's the same as that fitted to a Mark IX Jaguar. Supported but not absolutely proven. AH 100S's used them too mounted upside down. The little chrome stems are best removed and a Triumph stem fitted although the TR regular mirrors were not Lucas and these mirrors with TR stems fitted get very close to the glass depending on adjustment. The paint finish isn't usually very 'hammery' but varies considerably from a bronze gold to a silvery gold. Most mirrors are bronzey with very little hammer in the finish. Lucas used this paint on horns, early sports coils, inspection lamps and all manner of stuff. To best duplicate the finish it should be mixed - I mixed a quart in acrylic enamel using leftover gold and bronze metallics at the shop - with no hammer. i had another quart for early sports coils and Jag/Healey horns with that was less bronze and a little more hammer but not much as many of these were more bronzey also The NOS ones on my XK150 are both dated the same month and one is somewhat hammery and goldish and the other more like a plain bronze metallic. You can always make it more hammery by adding excess fisheye eliminator - at least with the old enamels. i haven't a clue with modern urethanes.

Sadly, the paint is used up and the shop gone. I'd be happy to refinish any for TR members otherwise. Lord knows i did enough of them for the boys over here. I couldn't even guess as to the number of Lucas 998 and 100 inspection lamps that were done - well over 50 at any rate.

Don't forget to fill in the LUCAS stampings in the tab with red paint :)

I think the mirror in the catalogue is for saloons but i don't have that edition....

One thing I have just noticed about the Lucas 584which I won, is that it is intended to be top mounted, ie for the word "LUCAS" on the tab to be the right way up, the ball ended stem is expected to go up from the mirror. Having said that I am sure that can be sorted somehow, have not yet decided whether to use existing TR mirror stem, or possibly make a new one from scratch.

The mirror I bought was cheap because the glass had some defects in the silvering, so I am getting my local glass Co. to cut down a larger (modern)

dipping mirror glass (which I had already) to the same shape as the Lucas one (cost £5, so still up on the deal !)

I think The Lucas 103 mirror is probably the one for the job (see top of thread) but can't find any.

Regarding colour, I will probably spray the casing black, which is what the standard TR mirror is, so won't look too out of place.

Final thought - If one wanted to have the dipping mirror facility, but also want to keep the original mirror, one could get hold of a modern dipping mirror, remove the glass, get it cut down to the size of the standard mirror, & fit to the standard casing. OK there would be no tab to flick up, or down, but how hard would it be to just move the mirror down when need be, then back up later ? This is what I would do now if I had not already bought a dipping one unfortunately I have only just thought of that !

Bob.

Old Lucas dipping mirrors aren't really that expensive if you are willing to do a bit of work. Getting modern glass cut down to replace the old Lucas glass is an option I never explored - used to have them re-silvered which cost about $15 or so back when I was restoring these things. I imagine it's stupid money now. used to be able purchase a mirror, re-chrome the bezel tab and screws, re-silver and repaint with a correctly mixed enamel for less than $100. If a mirror needed less work it was a bonus passed on to whomever wanted it. Paying over $500 for an NOS one ilikr the one that sold on eBay is silly.

I used the existing TR stalk as it was certain that the thing would go into the scuttle without added work; the 585 mirrors can get pretty close to the windscreen glass with this arrangement.

Edited by jdwtrxk

£5 to have a modern (larger) dipping mirror cut down. I am collecting mine tomorrow.

Still trying to source a TR style stem as I would prefer to keep the original mirror complete.

Bob.

Good chance of finding something suitable at the MG/Triumph Spares Day at Stoneleigh on 2nd March - take the old mirror plus its stalk with you to check suitability.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the mirror front:

Purchased Lucas 584 (on ebay) with **** glass, & opened up hole in the rear clamping piece.

Also from ebay came a modern dipping mirror - cheapest I could find.

removed glass from modern one, scrapped the rest, got local glass merchants to re-shape glass to be same as Lucas one.

Meanwhile, sandblasted all rust etc from the shell, & the spring, then spray painted black (as per original TR mirror).

re-assembled all with new glass - all working fine.

Purchased another original TR mirrorwith **** glass from member, removed the stem, & fitted to dipping mirror.

Had to turn up a special washer to get the ball size to match. Now waiting to fit to car. I find this much easier to do with the windscreen off - so waiting for some good weather.

• 8 years later...
On 2/28/2014 at 6:55 PM, Lebro said:

got local glass merchants to re-shape glass

May I ask, who was your glass cutter please? I just broke my mirror, and am struggling to find a skilled glass cutter.