TO DISH OR NOT TO DISH

Hi all

Interior parts are coming together now almost ready to refit. I have a 14 dished Moto steering wheel at the mo, but have had my dash reveneered in walnut burr and it won't match.

My question is there an advantage to a dished wheel as I've found some flat 14 inch wheels on fleabay at a reasonable cost.

Cheers Mark.

I guess the dish brings the wheel towards you a bit which can help clear your knees at the expense of a slightly more bent arms posture (for a given seat position). The original 6 wheel is flat and I had a flat Moto Lita on my 6. I have a dished one on my 4A though. A question of personal taste.

Mark, I swapped my original flat wheel for a 14" dished Moto Lita and found it uncomfortable. A little bit closer to me, so bent arms and the Overdrive lever was just that little too far away for hands on the wheel flicking in and out, so I bought a flat 14" Moto Lita and it's proved ideal for me. Black leather btw, so no colour issues either. Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for the reply, my only concern is I'm over 6ft and it might be tight on the knees. Hi Graze, yes sanding is an option but the it'll have to be resealed, more expense if it's to be 2 pack.

Cheers Mark.

I had/have a dished 13" wheel on mine, and Im 6ft 5". The dish allows a bit more leg room under the wheel. The only thing to be aware of is that it pushes your legs out towards the doors, and when I had my accident, one of the most painful wounds I had was a cut in my leg from the door opener handle.

Another way to look at it is that with the dish theres another inch or so 'crumple' zone :lol: before the column hit you :wacko:

I`ll be fitting another dished wheel when my 6 is on the road to recovery.

Hi Mark,

I'm 6'6" and struggled to drive a '6 with the standard, non-dished wheel. Really got in the way of my left leg when trying to downshift quickly on a twisty road, not fun.

I ultimately went for a dished Moto-Lita woodrim, which gave me the required legroom, although it was cosy, as Andrew mentioned.

Cheers,

Matt