Overheating/Cooling

This may seem obvious but I have seen no mention of coolant addatives to improve the efficiency of the coolant, I know MGOC used to sell a red coloured one that had other benefits like reducing rusting, anti-freeze etc.  I have seen others in the Car Accessory shops, any views or advice, I run a TR4A that only runs hot when stop/start in warm/hot weather.

Andrew

Tried "water wetter" benefits are probably more in the head than real. If stop/start cooling is an issue, add an electric fan, or improve cooling system efficiency.

But then again, it's only a couple of quid!

Rob.

Hi Andrew, I wonder if the stuff you're thinking of, is the same product I'd been trying to track down - it sounds like it may be.

It used to be called "Forlife", but now "4LIFE", a coolant that didn't require diluting.   I first used it in the 70s in a Hillman Imp - it was claimed not to deteriorate like antifreeze and  not affect aluminium.

It is available from Demon Tweeks now as  order code CAS4LIFE

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalog....=search

Demon Tweeks are selling 'Water Wetter' too : a bottle is 14.06 pounds and is diluted in 15 litres of water. The benefits that are mentioned are impressive : 'greatly improving heat transfer', 'avoids hot spots and vapor bubble formation', 'reduces cavitation, corrosion and lubricates water pump seals', mixes with all antifreezes', 'can lower engine T° by up to 15°C...' Perhaps it's like always : when the cooling system is in good order, you don't need it, when you have a cooling problem, Water Wetter won't solve it. I was tempted to try it but Demon Tweeks don't send fluids overseas anymore, because of some very stupid european legislation.

It doesn't solve TR4 cooling problems-we tried it, the only solution as mentioned above is to get to the root of the problem, ensure clear airflow, increase efficiency of radiator, ensure timing and mixture are as they should be, perhaps install an electric fan (optionally remove the twisted piece of metal hanging off the front of the crankshaft).

Rob.

looking at a standard tr4 fan they are fairly crude heavy weight engineering, the fan blades are not aero dynamicaly designed in any way. could there be a bolt on replacement plastic fan that could increase the air flow 10 fold? would the tr5/6 8 blade fan bolt on or be adapteed.

picture = tr4 fan

Ade,

don't get the forum back onto the ballancing debate again!

My personal opinion is to get rid of the fixed fan, and remove the fan extension also, however this is subject to debate.

Chances are, visit any car dismantlers and you will find a fan that could be fitted. With the help of a machinist, you could even go the viscous coupled route, this would be a major step forward-free revving initially, with plenty of draw eventually, yet again, source one from a breakers-just make sure it functions correctly, new Land Rover items (coupling and fan) would be about £80 i think.

Rob.

:P

Thanks very much for all your advice, I will make the necessarry alterations and see what happens this summer,

Andrew