Handbrake Cable Rubber Gaiters

Roger - thanks for the link. Not sure I follow what to do with heat shrink because the cables slide up inside the outer when you operate the brake. So doesn't seem an obvious way of keeping the wet out. Especially when you look at where they are. But it looks as though there might be suppliers out there that will have something that will do. JJC

Alan - that looks promising. Spoke to Moss and I do follow their explanation. In short the gaiter is put on before the end is crimped in manufacture and retrofitting wouldn't really work without splitting it. Complete cables are only £11 or so. But I'll try those bellows first. JJC

Hi JJC,

there is a tool that electricians use to expand rubber sleeves to fit over 'bigger' things.

They have three fingers that go inside the gaiter, a squeeze of the handles makes the three legs move outward.

This may help you. http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/cables-wires/cable-accessories-ties-tools/cable-sleeving-tools/

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Folks

I had the same trouble and was rumagging around until I found a nice fitting Example from Lambretta (Italian Scooter) They use it on their Brake Cables. Just fitted with a small Cable Tie over on the fixed Part.

re-hiker

• 2 months later...

Guys,

I have ordered these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-MG-TF-Gear-Change-Cable-Rubber-Gaiters-Pair-New-UK-COMPANY-MG-TRADE-MEMBER-/121329557397?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

as the seller replied "The dimensions are: Overall length at rest 63mm, small hole internal approx. 9mm, large hole internal 20mm approx." and that is pretty much what I measured on an old one.

I foresee sliding them on from the adjuster end. We shall see.

Stan

Edited by smizgals
  • 2 weeks later...

TRy Carbuilder Solutions, www.carbuildersolutions.com

They can supply a gaiter/bellows which I have fitted to my TR6.

Go to their website, at the top right hand side is a box SEARCH STORE, enter the part number CABCOV. Note, one end will have to be cut off with a sharp knife.

The total price of a pair of these is £9, easier and cheaper than fitting new cables.

post-12802-0-87265500-1400495463_thumb.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Update. The length is the same, the small end inner diameter is 1mm larger and the large end inner diameter is the same as the large end outer diameter of the original.

So I retained the flat part of the original large end, slipped the new one over it and fastened the small end with a tie-wrap.

Retaining the old large end also keeps the original seal around the washer that acts on the spring. I suppose gluing the large ends is also an option.

Stan

• 3 years later...

After a major search for these items, I e-mailed Moss Europe and a very co-operative chap named Adam Chignell replied that they (Moss) were going to obtain some of these from their cable supplier to supply poor owners like us with perfectly serviceable cables and perished gaiters.

The part number is 140373G (£3.50 a shot). I have fitted a pair to my otherwise perfect cables and although this is a little tricky in situ, I can report they are a quality item and worth the effort. Should keep the MOT man happy for a while.