Or with a bit more hype and a £20,000 price indication here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2549620/Rare-British-car-fetch-20-000-BARN.html

Some definitely odd parts grafted onto that over the years. TR3 dash. Spitfire(?) steering wheel. MGB(?) windscreen and offside door.

Anyone have chassis/engine numbers for the car?

I don't think you'll find £20K will do the job, or anything like it, Malcolm . . . . .

And it certainly won't fetch a 6 figure sum completed either.

It's only a TR2 in a party frock, and this one has nothing by way of past history to excite the punters.

Cheers

Alec

Hi Alec, the wording was an exact quote from the article, only the exclamation marks were mine!

Swallow Doretti. Chassis 1014. Up for sale 30 March 2014. Sydney. 72,000-80,000 AUD.

That car started life in Los Angeles and sat apart for years as a Balchowsky Buick conversion that was started and not finished. A knowlegeable collector took it to Australia and finished a high quality restoration. It's a good one.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anybody hear what the Devon Doretti went for at auction?

I hear the car was a late build -- not one of the original series. Never heard if it had a true chassis number, and that could explain why it had the GBL975C number plate.

Last time I saw Doretti #1014 just over a year ago it was quite a stunner.

My Doretti friends tell me the same, Viv -- 1014 is one of the best there is.

Whether or not it was a bargain is open to question . . . . the mortal remains of a bodged 'special' that happened to include an assortment of panels from a Doretti, and whatever else may have been in the potpourri.

If the Doretti panels are in decent nick then yes those will probably account for a goodly chunk of the purchase price on resale as spares, and there'll be a modest amount of TR spares, and maybe even some other Doretti component ?

But a Swallow Doretti it is not. And not even the beginnings of one.

Cheers

Alec